Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Still No Oil Pressure?!?!!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 242 6cyl
Angry Still No Oil Pressure?!?!!?!?

Alright guys heres the problem.....

It started out when i was leaving the house to go to the store for some smokes when in between shifts she stalled out on me so i cranked it back up again and proceeded on my way to the store.....Now as i left the store it did the same thing again only this time there was NO oil pressure whatsoever so i putted the rest of the way home (1/4 mile distance)....So i figured it has got to be the oil pump which i went down and got one threw it on the jeep put everything back together filled it back with oil fired it up and still no oil pressure has this happened to anybody else?!?!? Or does anybody have and idea what could be causing this?!?!?!?

Thanks a ton.......
Old 10-15-2008, 09:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

It could be that the wiring, sending unit or guage is bad, making the guage LIE to you.
The first thing I would check is the integrity of the sending unit wire and connections....Wires fall off due to vibration, etc...Sometimes wires like that can melt insulation & ground out on hot exhaust manifolds, etc. If the wire is OK, possible burnt fuse?
It seems like you did a more difficult fix first...I always try to start with the easier fix first!

On the other hand, (a less happy hand), it is possible that you might have spun a bearing...this is usually followed by loud, expensive-sounding engine noises. You didn't have any of those, I HOPE!
Hope this helps!
Good luck!
When you find the problem, please update!
Old 10-15-2008, 10:16 PM

Year: 89
Engine: 4.0L

That happened to me once in my dodge, i changed the oil and it was fine.. but i was driving 70+ mph and i was quickly decelerating.. chk engine and everything came on.. dunno if its the same but mine must have been low, or needed a new filter?
Old 10-15-2008, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by cheapJeeper
It could be that the wiring, sending unit or guage is bad, making the guage LIE to you.
The first thing I would check is the integrity of the sending unit wire and connections....Wires fall off due to vibration, etc...Sometimes wires like that can melt insulation & ground out on hot exhaust manifolds, etc. If the wire is OK, possible burnt fuse?
It seems like you did a more difficult fix first...I always try to start with the easier fix first!

On the other hand, (a less happy hand), it is possible that you might have spun a bearing...this is usually followed by loud, expensive-sounding engine noises. You didn't have any of those, I HOPE!
Hope this helps!
Good luck!
When you find the problem, please update!

Yes the motor is making some noises BUT there is no knocking or anything like that mostly sounds like the motor is still dry....So im thinking since i didnt prime the oil pump it still needs time to prime but then again i dont wanna run it for to long because i dont want to spin a bearing or anything.....I just need to find out how to prime it without without taking it all aprt again........
Old 10-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Seasoned Member

When I built my MoPar, the engine was on a stand, and I packed the oil pump with STP or assembly lube...I don't remember which.
(That was ONLY 28 years ago, sorry!)

If it sounds dry, that is a BAD thing, though...
But it makes me wonder... (I've never torn down a Jeep motor)
Is the oil pump run off of a geared shaft that is turned by the cam and also rotates the distributor?
If so, I have heard of the end of the shaft snapping/ twisting/breaking, and of the cam gears stripping...if the XJ engine is designed that way, that would be one of the next things to check.
Does your old oil pump still turn smoothly, or is it seized? If it is seized, the oil pump driveshaft might have snapped somewhere between the pump and the cam gears... since it runs, it is most likely not broken between the cam gear and distributor.
HTH! ...and again, good luck!
Old 10-15-2008, 11:07 PM

When I built my MoPar, the engine was on a stand, and I packed the oil pump with STP or assembly lube...I don't remember which.
(That was ONLY 28 years ago, sorry!)

If it sounds dry, that is a BAD thing, though...
But it makes me wonder... (I've never torn down a Jeep motor)
Is the oil pump run off of a geared shaft that is turned by the cam and also rotates the distributor?
If so, I have heard of the end of the shaft snapping/ twisting/breaking, and of the cam gears stripping...if the XJ engine is designed that way, that would be one of the next things to check.
Does your old oil pump still turn smoothly, or is it seized? If it is seized, the oil pump driveshaft might have snapped somewhere between the pump and the cam gears... since it runs, it is most likely not broken between the cam gear and distributor.
HTH! ...and again, good luck!

It's not seized or anything like that i just really have a funny feeling it's not primed.....I read somewhere that it takes a few minutes for the oil pump to be fully primed but like stated earlier i dont want to run it for that long as i think it's still completely DRY.......There is a website that says how to prime it thru the distibuter hole after removing the distributer itself heres the website i found scroll about halfway down........
http://www.golenengineservice.com/html/jeep_tips.html

BTW: Thanks
Old 10-15-2008, 11:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you had oil pressure the pump was moving oil and priming it no won't do anything for you. Pop the oil filler cap and start the engine. Look through the hole and look for oil being pumped up to the rockers. Maybe I missed it, but did you try a new sending unit?
Old 10-15-2008, 11:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Here's another idea...possible clogged or collapsed oil filter?
That website warned about collapsed FRAM oil filters..
That might prevent oil circulation, preventing flow to oil pressure sensor, therefore no pressure reading?
Just a thought.
Hopefully one of the gurus will chime in with some other ideas!
Old 10-15-2008, 11:41 PM

No sir i did not change the oil pressure sending unit (didnt see a need to) and there hasnt been any oil pressure at all since it stalled out the second time.... Is there anyway a sending unit/oil pump would cause it to stall and when started back up run rough (like a misfire) for a second then would clear up?!?!?!

Thanks again.....
Old 10-15-2008, 11:43 PM

Here's another idea...possible clogged or collapsed oil filter?
That website warned about collapsed FRAM oil filters..
That might prevent oil circulation, preventing flow to oil pressure sensor, therefore no pressure reading?
Just a thought.
Hopefully one of the gurus will chime in with some other ideas!

Changed the filter after i changed the oil i just hope i didnt spin a bearing lol.....
Old 10-16-2008, 07:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Teal96XJ
No sir i did not change the oil pressure sending unit (didnt see a need to) and there hasnt been any oil pressure at all since it stalled out the second time.... Is there anyway a sending unit/oil pump would cause it to stall and when started back up run rough (like a misfire) for a second then would clear up?!?!?!

Thanks again.....
No, the oil pressure sending unit has nothing to do with the operation of the engine. A faulty sending unit will cause bizarre indications on your gauge, that's all. A defective oil pump won't provide adequate oil to the engine and that will most certainly ruin your day (and your engine).

I'd suggest pulling the valve cover and starting the motor. Check for oil being pumped through the pushrods to all of the rockers. Yes it can be messy but it's worth the effort.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:31 PM

Quik update everything is fine now turn out it just wasnt primed so i pulled the distributer and primed it with a drill threw everything back together and she runs as good as new!!!!

Thanks for everyones input and the help......
Old 10-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Teal what kind of pressure is the gauge showing now???