Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Buying a Cherokee - What to look for/get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Buying a Cherokee - What to look for/get?

I'm looking at buying a Cherokee because I will be attending Fire Academy and don't want to ruin my Vette with the nasty gear and sweat.

I'm not looking for the nicest Cherokee but I want something that is reliable and will be able to handle at least 3-4hr drives. I'm mechanically inclined and know what I'm doing so I can do some work myself.

But I've got some questions. How old is too old and how many miles are too many miles? I want a capable 4x4 and I plan on putting a lil bit of a lift on it and bigger tires.

I know the I6 is the best engine right?

Point me in the right direction guys. I've been reading the newbie threads and such and know the basics of what to look for in a car but what has your guys experience been?
Thanks,
David
Old 10-16-2008, 06:03 PM

Year: 1993, 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

Well, I'm not sure if mine is atypical or not, I've heard it's not. I just recently picked up a '93 with the 4.0 HO engine and 4-speed automatic. Unfortunetly it's just a 2wd, but short of the missing front axel and transfer case, it's the same thing.

I will roll over 185k miles sometime next week. There was a slight oil leak when I got it, but a new valve cover gasket seems to have solved it. I've got some other minor issues, but I expect a tuneup will straighten a lot of them out. The Jeep is my daily driver, and runs well without any sign of burning oil.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8

Originally Posted by NEV3R L8
I'm looking at buying a Cherokee because I will be attending Fire Academy and don't want to ruin my Vette with the nasty gear and sweat.

I'm not looking for the nicest Cherokee but I want something that is reliable and will be able to handle at least 3-4hr drives. I'm mechanically inclined and know what I'm doing so I can do some work myself.

But I've got some questions. How old is too old and how many miles are too many miles? I want a capable 4x4 and I plan on putting a lil bit of a lift on it and bigger tires.

I know the I6 is the best engine right?

Point me in the right direction guys. I've been reading the newbie threads and such and know the basics of what to look for in a car but what has your guys experience been?
Thanks,
David
Personally I don't go older than 1993.
Next, RUST! Rust is the big issue on something you are going to put your money into so you want it to last.
Really get on your back and crawl under the rockers and under the gas tank and bumpers.
If it has too much rust I walk away.
After the rust all the guys here will tell you the rest is just bolt on parts and the fun of owning it.

Need strobe boxes? I have a rack of 5 Whelen's that each do 4 lights and have all the molex connectors.

PS. Invest in Bandaids and electrical tape for the knuckle busters.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jamaicanmecrazy
Personally I don't go older than 1993.
Don't count out the Rennys. There are a lot of them out there that are gems. A 4.0 is a 4.0, they'll all take a grip of miles if properly cared for!! They are far easier to work on IMHO.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:21 AM

Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

I dunno. If the body is straight, with no rust or cobbled body work, I'm not sure how many miles are "too many miles".

I, for one, would steer away from electric doors/locks, if I could. (Both of the Cherokees I've owned had electrics and both were PITA. But that's not a show-stopper, as I've just purchased an electric door jeep for my wife.

The thing is, there is NOTHING on a Jeep that you can't bolt on/replace/fix in your own garage.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:26 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

i just bought a xj, check the oilfilter adapter and the valve cover gasket for leaks, also check for death wobble (because when you buy a new car and a week later it feels like its falling a part that relly sucks)just make shure nothings loose as far as steering goes.

good luck on the search
Old 10-17-2008, 11:55 AM

Year: 89
Engine: 4.0L

I agree... the 4.0 is one of the best engines out there, thing is bullet proof IF its taken care or,

and if its 4x4 have them test drive and look under after to see any leaks/oil... im paying for taking someones word for it, but at the price it was a great deal!
Old 10-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
Don't count out the Rennys. There are a lot of them out there that are gems. A 4.0 is a 4.0, they'll all take a grip of miles if properly cared for!! They are far easier to work on IMHO.
Yeah I overlooked that UNTIL last night.
I was on Craigslist and saw an eighty something that was just very very clean for like a grand.

Guess I'm just stuck on the Grands because of the options and the smooth look.
Now if I was going to build a rock rat then any old Jeep would do.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

If you currently drive a Vette you may enjoy a Grand for the luxury. Anything will be a step down in performance after the Vette so I won't even go there. Anything you can find in rustfree condition after 87 with the 4.0L engine then consider it.
Good Luck at the Fire Academy.