Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Steering Wobble

So I've been trying to fix a wobble for a while now. It's not necessarily the "death wobble", the jeep drives fine while not turning. At slower speeds, say <20mph, as I come out of a sharp turn the wheel wobbles both as I spin the wheel into the turn and as it comes back straight. Feels as if something is loose and the wheels are wobbling back and forth during the turn. The first time I replaced the axle u-joints and wheel bearings and that fixed it for a while. The wobble came back and I replaced the track bar and steering stabilizer, which fixed it again for a few months. Now its back again. Any ideas??
Old 11-16-2013, 07:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by gyrator930
So I've been trying to fix a wobble for a while now. It's not necessarily the "death wobble", the jeep drives fine while not turning. At slower speeds, say <20mph, as I come out of a sharp turn the wheel wobbles both as I spin the wheel into the turn and as it comes back straight. Feels as if something is loose and the wheels are wobbling back and forth during the turn. The first time I replaced the axle u-joints and wheel bearings and that fixed it for a while. The wobble came back and I replaced the track bar and steering stabilizer, which fixed it again for a few months. Now its back again. Any ideas??
Have you rechecked these parts you've replaced to see if there's any signs of wear or if they have any play? Also just do a general front end check, see if there's any play in your balljoints, control arms, u joints, tie rods, etc.