Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering stabilizer is too big

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '90
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Renix
Talking Steering stabilizer is too big

The front end of my xj is now new!!! New tie rod ends, new pitman, new ball joints, new center link (which has three!!!different names) new steering brace, new JCR bumper, and my THIRD steering stabilizer in 1 week. I ordered this HD stabilizer from Rough Country because I would be later doing the lift and big tires. First the stabilizer didn't come with a mounting bolt to the center link. The stock stabilizer has a pressed in bolt and wouldn't work. So it's off to all the local parts stores. AZ, O'R, PB and no luck. Napa had the whole kit. stabiizer and bolt. No, I can't buy the bolt,,,, So I buy the $35 stabilizer, go home, and mount the RC Stab. It looked cool. No time to test as it was late, The next day I head for work, and the steering is not right! It wont turn left for caca. So back home I look under while the BW turns the steering wheel. The centerlink pin to the stabilizer hits the compressed stabilizer and has a terrible bend in the BOLT!!!! I compare the RC to the standard and it's 2" longer and when turning right it bent the poop out of the bolt. SOOOOOO it's back for another $35 NAPA bolt and a standard stabilizer.......ARGHHHHHHH Thats over $80 to put on a pos stock stab. please lock up my guns and hide the key