Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering Shaft U-Joint

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Shaft U-Joint

today at work we threw my jeep up on the lift and i started shaking the steering wheel. the u joint in the steering shaft is making a clunk popping noise. it would make sense that when im turning on wide turns like cloverleafs that the steering all of a sudden just shifts and i have to turn sharper. and that i have a wiggly steering wheel from about 10 o'clock and 2. i was wondering if i should save the hastle and get a dealer one or aftermarket one? anyone know how to fix this or where to find them?
Old 02-12-2011, 10:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

the part should be available through autozone or napa. if not, then the dealer.
it is easy to replace.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by caged
the part should be available through autozone or napa. if not, then the dealer.
it is easy to replace.
yeah i work at pep boys and i checked today our system didnt even show one.. think it will help the loose steering wheel and stuff?
Old 02-13-2011, 08:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

if it's as loose as you say, it should.
once you have that fixed, and you still have some play, check tie rods and steering box.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:20 AM

Year: 1998

I work for Pep Boys too. We had to OP joints for my buddy's 94 Grand Cherokee.

I'm not sure where you are, or who you OP from, but what I do is get dealer price from a vendor like Berridon and have them charge my card directly. It's always cheaper for me to do it that way, and they usually deliver parts within a couple of hours.

Btw it seems that pep boys never has anything that I need for xj's in stock. It's not exactly a rare car. I don't get it.

Last edited by detin8; 02-13-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Be careful not to bust the clockspring when changing it. They get fragile after 10 years.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by detin8
I work for Pep Boys too. We had to OP joints for my buddy's 94 Grand Cherokee.

I'm not sure where you are, or who you OP from, but what I do is get dealer price from a vendor like Berridon and have them charge my card directly. It's always cheaper for me to do it that way, and they usually deliver parts within a couple of hours.

Btw it seems that pep boys never has anything that I need for xj's in stock. It's not exactly a rare car. I don't get it.

Hermm..yeah i mite go down to napa and see what they've got its just down the road.. how do u get it cheaper then ur discount? Well i guess thats only if starlite shows it at ur store then u get a discount lol. So whats ur store like? Do you run on commision like us? And did u have ur Q1 meeting yet? Just learned in ours today that we r going to be able to start using the garage for our personal cars for free without LP firing us. Woowhoo!
Old 02-13-2011, 01:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

DUCT TAPE!!!! HAHAHA sorry couldn't resist man...
Old 02-14-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by shadowlm15

Hermm..yeah i mite go down to napa and see what they've got its just down the road.. how do u get it cheaper then ur discount? Well i guess thats only if starlite shows it at ur store then u get a discount lol. So whats ur store like? Do you run on commision like us? And did u have ur Q1 meeting yet? Just learned in ours today that we r going to be able to start using the garage for our personal cars for free without LP firing us. Woowhoo!
I just get dealer price from the vendor, and buy directly from them. Usually the part never goes through the system. Your still buying from the vendor, but using Pep Boys discounted pricing.

I have three stores that I travel between, they're decent. I have a pretty unique position, I'm a Sales and Installation Lead. I'm responsible for electronics sales and install in those stores. I've been on comm for a while now, but it's a unique pay plan for me as well. I get a % from my categories (electronics, transportation, travel & towing, and labor associated with those categories) whether I'm there or not, even if someone else makes the sale. It's a pretty sweet gig.

Missed the q1 meeting. I'm sure I'll hear about it tomorrow.