Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering popping fixed

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 03:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Steering popping fixed

When I bought my jeep, it had a bad popping when steering... with the help of this forum, I have fixed it... all new tre's, wj tierod upgrade, and new trackbar (non adjustable for now)... What a huge difference... now on to the leaky tranny cooling lines...
Old 02-11-2015, 03:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 renix

Great to hear man.

I still always recommend just deleting the stock trans cooler. B&M trans cooler on amazon - $60. Just cut the metal trans lines back before it goes under the oil pan and run 2 hoses straight to the cooler, mounted in front of the ac cooler (right behind grill) in any way that you can mount it, and hose clamp it.

It won't compete the engine oil inside the cooler anymore, and you eliminate the terrible quick disconnects and fittings at the trans cooler.

You can take that advice or not, just saying that's what I always do.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Year: 1991 2-Door
Engine: 4.0 liter
Default Leaky lines.

Those quick connects are garbage, especially if you wheel your XJ. With my sons' XJ we just took the line and cut the quick connect off and used two small hose clamps and pushed it past the flare that would hold the quick connect on with a clamp on each side of it. Worked much better. Now we need to do the fix on his new XJ.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Stabsthedrama
Great to hear man.

I still always recommend just deleting the stock trans cooler. B&M trans cooler on amazon - $60. Just cut the metal trans lines back before it goes under the oil pan and run 2 hoses straight to the cooler, mounted in front of the ac cooler (right behind grill) in any way that you can mount it, and hose clamp it.

It won't compete the engine oil inside the cooler anymore, and you eliminate the terrible quick disconnects and fittings at the trans cooler.

You can take that advice or not, just saying that's what I always do.
Thank you for the advice! I will look into that... seems like a cheap/easy upgrade...