Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

steering noise poping snaping nonsence

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default steering noise poping snaping nonsence

replaced track bar bushings..
so when i turn, sometimes i get a noise like a pop like somehtings just moving around alitle bit. it seems like it will pop one way then pop the other.

when i drive up light poles and stuff i get a snaping noise once then no more noise.

sometimes wen i drive into a curb with 1 tire i will get a snap.

rarely the brakes will get it to make a noise,

new thing i discovered is when i turn right the steering response is sharp with not much play in the wheel. when i turn left there's a lot of play. the steering wheel is loose.

front right tire seems to have a camber problem. the outside is worn, also cupping..

last alignment was last year but i put my xj through hell

tie rods seems good when i checked them shaking the tires on a lift.

ball joints?
or bushings??

do tie rods make noise ever?

this all started after i got my locker guess puttting alot more stress on old parts

thanks
Old 09-20-2010, 05:43 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by onmyonly
replaced track bar bushings..
so when i turn, sometimes i get a noise like a pop like somehtings just moving around alitle bit. it seems like it will pop one way then pop the other.

when i drive up light poles and stuff i get a snaping noise once then no more noise.

sometimes wen i drive into a curb with 1 tire i will get a snap.

rarely the brakes will get it to make a noise,

new thing i discovered is when i turn right the steering response is sharp with not much play in the wheel. when i turn left there's a lot of play. the steering wheel is loose.

front right tire seems to have a camber problem. the outside is worn, also cupping..

last alignment was last year but i put my xj through hell

tie rods seems good when i checked them shaking the tires on a lift.

ball joints?
or bushings??

do tie rods make noise ever?

this all started after i got my locker guess puttting alot more stress on old parts

thanks
I'm surprized your not getting more than a popping noise driving up lightpoles and stuff. Thats probably why whatever it is started popping.

Make sure you torqued the trackbar bolts down and that the mounting hole on the axle side is not elongated. Yeah your tie rods ends can make noise if there worn out. Check u joints and CA bushings also
Old 09-20-2010, 06:07 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.o

if your tires are cupping your not rotating them enough. have somebody turn the wheel back and forth (not all the way) just back and forth and see if you can find it. my track bar makes alot of noise but its a trail truck only so i dont wworry about it
Old 09-20-2010, 06:48 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I had the same symptoms you are describing. Took forever to figure it out, but the cast steering box spacer (between the box and the frame rail) had partially crumbled. This allowed the box to move under certain conditions (generally sounded like a pop or clunk).
Old 10-07-2010, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 / 6 EFI

Originally Posted by RestoRoc89
I had the same symptoms you are describing. Took forever to figure it out, but the cast steering box spacer (between the box and the frame rail) had partially crumbled. This allowed the box to move under certain conditions (generally sounded like a pop or clunk).
Wondering if your situation is similar to mine. I only get a clunk when I make a really sharp turn like when I am pulling into a parking spot. Not always but enough such that when I at the full turning capability and have been there for about 5 feet distance I get the clunk.