Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering gear box problems!

Old 09-11-2012, 10:06 PM

Location: Orono, ME/Hudson Falls, NY/Wilton, CT. Depends when ya catch me!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default Steering gear box problems!

I have a 98 durango box I pulled from the junkyard, but the problem im having is no different than stock. It worked fine for a while but the output shaft that the pitman arm is on has play in it. You can feel and visually see the shaft wiggle side to side when turning the wheel back and forth. Causing "play" or a popping noise in the steering. What is the problem? Bearings/seals? Is it worth rebuilding? Junkyard part or Remanufactured part?

Thanks guys!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

adjust it, if adjustment doesn't work, buy another box.
I had the same problem on my Durango.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by car5car
adjust it, if adjustment doesn't work, buy another box.
I had the same problem on my Durango.
The adjustment just had to do with the "tightness" of the steering (preload i think) but would that help with the output shaft actually wiggling side to side?
Old 09-11-2012, 10:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

There's a bushing or bearing there (don't know which that box uses) that's worn, probably. A lot of the "rebuilt" boxes out there are no better, they replace the seals but not the hard parts. Some paint-and-pray's don't do either.
If you have mechanical skills you can probably rebuild the box yourself, better than what you'll get from the parts houses. I've had no luck at all with "rebuilt" steering boxes, often wished I had my old one back.

Eta: looks like it's a needle bearing, some reports of these guys having a parts kit: west texas offroad

Last edited by Radi; 09-11-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Radi
There's a bushing or bearing there (don't know which that box uses) that's worn, probably. A lot of the "rebuilt" boxes out there are no better, they replace the seals but not the hard parts. Some paint-and-pray's don't do either.
If you have mechanical skills you can probably rebuild the box yourself, better than what you'll get from the parts houses. I've had no luck at all with "rebuilt" steering boxes, often wished I had my old one back.
Is there a rebuild kit or do i have to look at a schematic and find what I need. And im guessing this is something i go to MOPAR for...

Rebuilding the box is not beyond me I'm just looking for the easiest solution. But rebuilding it myself will assure a longer lifespan
Old 09-11-2012, 10:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lgnut123
Is there a rebuild kit or do i have to look at a schematic and find what I need. And im guessing this is something i go to MOPAR for...

Rebuilding the box is not beyond me I'm just looking for the easiest solution. But rebuilding it myself will assure a longer lifespan
I did a little poking around as I'm not really familiar with the Durango box design, or even who made it. If it's Saginaw, those boxes I understand, lol.
I found that west texas offroad place (see edit in prev. post) that seems to have positive comments on other Jeep forums regarding parts and rebuilds. Might be worth a call.