Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering column & electrical

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Steering column & electrical

Hello all,

It's been a while since I last posted. My 92 XJ was stolen last week Wednesday. I just got it back today. Everything came back except for my 31 BFG's and stereo. They broke my steering column to start her up. My question is, is there any threads that I read to fix my problem? Also my door locks, windows and lights don't function. Is this all related to my steering column being broken? Help!

Steve

Last edited by LaredoBucket; 11-22-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve, IMHO, your best bet is to pull that column out, and replace it with a unit from a yard. They are pretty cheap, and easy to find. HTH!!

EDIT: Sorry, Check your fuses, several of them could be toasted. I bought a theft recovery, and had to replace the column in it, so I know what you are going through. I had a ton of fried fuses, a cooked ECM, and a toasted alternator to replace. I hope your isn't that bad...

Last edited by COSXJFAN; 11-22-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the quick reply, I figured that would be the best way. She cranks up with no problem. But I have to use a screw driver to start her up since the column is cracked. My windows work when the car is running but not the dome lights or door locks. It check out my fuses tomorrow. Does the whole steering column have to come out or can I fix the parts that are broken?
Old 11-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The parts can be very hard to get to, and not worth it, when you can put in a salvage unit, IMHO...
Old 11-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Cool Deal, thanks for the help. I figured out my problem with the dome lights, locks and windows. It was only a fuse. I'm picking up a steering column today for $100, It's comes with all the goodies including Keys. I'm gonna try and talk the guy down to $80. Ha!
Old 11-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by LaredoBucket
Hello all,

It's been a while since I last posted. My 92 XJ was stolen last week Wednesday. I just got it back today. Everything came back except for my 31 BFG's and stereo. They broke my steering column to start her up. My question is, is there any threads that I read to fix my problem? Also my door locks, windows and lights don't function. Is this all related to my steering column being broken? Help!

Steve

since your in la you might consider tying a string to the trigger on your shot gun and the other end of the string to your door and point the business end towards the window so you dont have to deal with it being stolen again
just kidding
Old 11-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Seasoned Member

sandaddik2

Good one! I do own a couple of shot guns. That may just work. I think I'll just fix my alarm and use my club bar at all times. Good thing my Rims came back on my car. They did get into an accident and bent the crap out of my bumper and my fenders have a kink in them so the drivers side tire kinda rubs. Oh well, I guess it gives me something to do this weekend.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:49 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996 Limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Im glad to hear you got it back in pretty much one peice. I had mine stolen awhile ago and had to redo a colum. I just went to the yard and got a new one switched the tumbler over and delt with all the little crap your ganna have to deal with for a few months. To change out the colum is not a bad job just watch out for your brake switch and bracket. I bent mine and didnt know and couldnt figure out why my brake lights werent working. lol
Old 12-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Alright Guys, I got my steering colum installed. However I did run into a few differences between the years. My XJ is an 92. And I forget if the new colum is either out of a 91 or 93. Maybe you guys can tell me. Here are some pics.

This is out of my 92 that was stolen/broken. It has the steering wheel release lever.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Esteef/3.jpg"

This is the NEW steering columm without the release lever. But I did recognize it does have a release. It's a cable, perhaps it connects to the clutch pedal or something else?? Anyways the car will not shut off properly if this cable or shaft isn't pushed back in place. The cable was cut when I bought the column. I seemed to have jammed this one so it wont move out of place, which seems to work for me. ha!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Esteef/1.jpg"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Esteef/2.jpg"

Another thing, My windshield wipers wont work now. Maybe the electrical or swithes are a lil different?? HELP!!

Last edited by LaredoBucket; 12-06-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

that ones from a standard, is your an auto?

you may want to check your harnesses, one of the plugs may not me in correctly for your windshield wipers. does the washer and signals work?
Old 12-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by caged
that ones from a standard, is your an auto?

you may want to check your harnesses, one of the plugs may not me in correctly for your windshield wipers. does the washer and signals work?
My Jeep is a standard. I asumed all Steering columns were pretty much the same considering the other/new column was only a year off.

My signals work fine but the washer and windshield wipers do not.

I take it Autos and Standards are different. As long as my steering is good and signals work I guess I can use Rainex on my windshield LOL!!