Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering box Up-Grade & Frame brace discussion please.. (PICTURES)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 Renix
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Steering box Up-Grade & Frame brace discussion please.. (PICTURES)

So here's the deal:
For the last 3 hours I have been learning about the various frame bracing or reinforcing.. good & bad, inners, outers, strapping, tack welding, grinding then welding, after market front bumper mount clearance issues, "bracing leads to added stress"/"better to leave it twist and flex"?!, cracks caused by sway-bar stress?!, and MUCH preference given to C-Rok.. and another brace specifically NAMED as the original problem.. .. + much, much more... so I did some research..

Here's my take thus far:
1) the layered sheet metal that makes up the "frame" in the front of my XJ has been spot-welded and needs to be connected/welded/strengthened.
2) The original mounting hardware for the steering box should be replaced so rust wont mislead homeowner/home-build/wrenchers who are torquing the bolts that seem tight but aren't, which leads to steering gear box flex off the frame and issues.. to put it lightly
2.b) & a brace from the far frame rail has been mentioned as "pulling" the gear box away from the frame.. No ONE mentioned but the concept is the same http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scri...?idproduct=331
3) The brace under the headlight that connects to the frame MUST stay for "core" structural integrity PS/FYI~ C-Rok frame brace install requires drilling the mounting hole b/c of placement inconsistency
4) interior and exterior bracing would be best and that "no-one makes one" http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scri...?idProduct=502 (no JKS SBS install reviews found yet), that is the reason for my post..

My question:
1) the above mentioned frame brace (plating/welding) made by JKS (not the mentioned culprit), is this a good solution?
2) there was much mention of an A-Pillar "common" crack.. there were no pics found and no clear mention of a preventative action.. is there a solution?

Note: I have the ORO (Off Road Only) U-Turn steering setup and the frame brace from L to R frame rail under the oil pan w/ the rubicon Express 5.5+2 inch long arm kit and 35s.. I know I NEED to do something but I am overwhelmed with conflicting information..

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2368
this is where I was researching last..
Attached Images