Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

steering box options

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 12:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default steering box options

hello all,

a while back i replaced leaky steering box hoses only to find the column input is leaking as well.
Years ago a 4x4 shop told me the box felt loose and they could rebuild it.

Its now 200000 in and leaking,never rebuilt, however I would like to hear what kind of steering input I should be getting from a good steering box?

there's probably an inch of play Left to Right, maybe more, but i dont know whats normal.
I also understand there are many replacement options ranging from the Durango-( not that great, steering stop reduced),PSC ,and other rebuilt boxes.

what are the issues so many have with refurbished boxes? I have read many pages that simply state they arent always reliable. What isnt, what fails, what are these issues?

I like the idea of a New box, but PSC is kinda pricy. Im not so much in the market of buying JY parts and would like a wise option that will suit me well for the future.

I appreciate any help you can give.

Last edited by 4x4jeepmanthing; 04-17-2018 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:40 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990

People have plenty of issues with the rebuilt boxes.

How about a good used one?

94 to 98 Grand Cherokee box has a quicker ratio which is kinda neat.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 4x4jeepmanthing
There's probably an inch of play Left to Right, maybe more, but i dont know whats normal.

From the factory that is not normal. Though with 200k miles it is common. I have a 96 with original steering gear and pump and it does not have even a 1/4 inch play. I would say it has zero play (perhaps 1/8).

Regardless, I assume you mean that you observe "play" at the steering wheel as it relates to the vehicle responding. It would be important to determine if that play is actually at the steering gear. It may be, and that is common, but it is not a given as play can come from a variety of items, as well as be the combined effect of a small amount of play in several components (intermediate shaft, steering gear, draglink to pitman, draglink to tie rod, and the tie rod ends).
Old 04-17-2018, 10:14 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L I6

Originally Posted by cruiser54

Where could you find a good used one? I've been thinking about replacing mine in the near future because it's super sloppy. Can you trust ebay etc? Steering boxes seem like a hard thing to get a good replacement for...
Old 04-17-2018, 03:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

I went here no issues at all even upgraded to durango box.

https://www.detroitaxle.com/?gclid=E...SAAEgIpUvD_BwE
Old 04-17-2018, 05:04 PM
CF Veteran

i dont mind good working equiptment, but ide like to not have to replace it again any time soon is all.
ive read grand cherokee boxes limit steering stop to stop and would this also no require swapping to a grands pump?

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
From the factory that is not normal. Though with 200k miles it is common. I have a 96 with original steering gear and pump and it does not have even a 1/4 inch play. I would say it has zero play (perhaps 1/8).

Regardless, I assume you mean that you observe "play" at the steering wheel as it relates to the vehicle responding. It would be important to determine if that play is actually at the steering gear. It may be, and that is common, but it is not a given as play can come from a variety of items, as well as be the combined effect of a small amount of play in several components (intermediate shaft, steering gear, draglink to pitman, draglink to tie rod, and the tie rod ends).
correct the play is in the steering wheel. All the steering linkage is new and did help tighten things up some, however the steering wheel does move a good deal before i get response to the wheels.
by steering gear, that is the actual box isnt it? this is what i believe is worn out, other wise i dont know what else to look at.

by 1/4 of play, i take it you mean thats how far you have to move the steering wheel before it gives a response? Im far from that if this is really how tight a good condition steering gear should be

i will be replacing ball joints soon as well, how much would these impact the steering? hubs are new to btw

Last edited by 4x4jeepmanthing; 04-18-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

I've never bought one, but people in the pickup truck community swear by these things:

https://www.redheadsteeringgears.com...tags=1&ixwps=1
Old 04-18-2018, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4jeepmanthing
i dont mind good working equiptment, but ide like to not have to replace it again any time soon is all.
ive read grand cherokee boxes limit steering stop to stop and would this also no require swapping to a grands pump?

correct the play is in the steering wheel. All the steering linkage is new and did help tighten things up some, however the steering wheel does move a good deal before i get response to the wheels.
by steering gear, that is the actual box isnt it? this is what i believe is worn out, other wise i dont know what else to look at.

by 1/4 of play, i take it you mean thats how far you have to move the steering wheel before it gives a response? Im far from that if this is really how tight a good condition steering gear should be

i will be replacing ball joints soon as well, how much would these impact the steering? hubs are new to btw

Hmmmm.... I wonder where this info comes from.

I've used the Grand Cherokee boxes with no issues. Absolute bolt on.

Last edited by cruiser54; 04-18-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

I've used the Grand Cherokee pumps with on issues. absolute bolt on.
which trim/engine grand cherokee are you grabbing a pump for? I had a durango box on my last build and it was fantastic, but required the JCR spacer (or a lot of washers.). Does the ZJ box direct bolt on nothing needed?
Old 04-18-2018, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by joemomma22
which trim/engine grand cherokee are you grabbing a pump for? I had a durango box on my last build and it was fantastic, but required the JCR spacer (or a lot of washers.). Does the ZJ box direct bolt on nothing needed?
94 to 98.

Direct bolt in.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0L

Amen to that Cruiser... I'd love to literally burn that industry straight to the ground... then I'd dance on the ashes. I had to go through installing 2 of them before I got one that was half-way decent.

The fine print on the rebuilds is so fine that it's not even printed at all. There are only a couple companies in the US that "supposedly" rebuild the steering boxes for most vehicles, and they don't do their job at all. If a used one comes across their desk and it's not leaking, they shoot it with a coat of paint, stick it in a box, and ship it out.
Out of those 2 that I mentioned... doesn't include the fact that there were 2 more that I viewed at the parts store that when I took them out of the box on the counter, they were leaking out all over the place.
Believe it or not, they still do manufacture a brand new box for our XJs.... but it's like $1100 bucks... so not worth the cost IMHO.
In all honesty, I think that company needs to have a huge class action suit brought against them for their so called "business" practices. Anyone starts one, let me know I'll sign the petition.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:29 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
I've never bought one, but people in the pickup truck community swear by these things:

https://www.redheadsteeringgears.com...tags=1&ixwps=1
Anyone running these? i wonder if ironmans4x4 are the same but repainted top?

I've used the Grand Cherokee pumps with on issues. absolute bolt on.
to be clear i dont know that you need a grand cherokee pump as well(do you?), i was asking.
Its been a while since ive read about the stop to stop issue, i may be getting things mixed up with a durango box. is either better than the other?

Thus far it sounds like you all recommend a grand cherokee box fairly highly without many issues if any, and cruiser says its a quicker turning ratio, and a direct bolt on, plus the bigger box and ease of steering sounds good to me.

Do you need a new spacer indefinitely? - ill likely get an aftermarket for good measure.

Those that did get a new steering box an havent said where you got yours from, where did you get a good steering box from?
Is the GC box heavy duty enough that one should probably run a steering box brace?

thanks for everyone pitching in to help. lots of good info on hear and its much appreciated!

Last edited by 4x4jeepmanthing; 04-18-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0L

I've heard of the durango box install as well... when I was researching doing mine. Seemed to be fairly popular.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:59 PM
CF Veteran

ive been looking for a thread on running a grand cherokee steering box with no luck. did you mean another component by chance?

all my research turns up for box upgrades are the durango, nothing on grands

thank you
Old 05-08-2018, 11:55 PM

Put a 94 to 98 steering box in and don't look back.

Quick Reply: steering box options