Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering box leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 09:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Steering box leaking

Hey guys. Box has been drilled and tapped for hydro assist. It is actually a YJ box. It is leaking at the fittings going into the box...Was drilled and tapped a few years ago and the rubber oring's on the hydro fittings are in rough shape. It is also leaking where the steering shaft comes into the box. Does the pump have to be pulled apart to replace that seal?

Last edited by matholland; 03-27-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

What's leaking, the pump or the steering box?
Old 03-27-2015, 10:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Steering box, where the shaft from the steering shaft from the wheel goes to the box.

Last edited by matholland; 03-27-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000

To replace the seal where the shaft comes out yes according to my FSM. Where's it's leaking out of the hoses the o rings probably need replaced. Or to be safe, just replace the lines. They're cheap and pretty easy to change. Hope that helps.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by matholland
Hey guys. Box has been drilled and tapped for hydro assist. It is actually a YJ box. It is leaking at the fittings going into the box...Was drilled and tapped a few years ago and the rubber oring's on the hydro fittings are in rough shape. It is also leaking where the steering shaft comes into the box. Does the pump have to be pulled apart to replace that seal?
Sorry jest re read it and see its a YJ box. So I'm not sure about the shaft part. But the lines should be the same.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Jooman07
To replace the seal where the shaft comes out yes according to my FSM. Where's it's leaking out of the hoses the o rings probably need replaced. Or to be safe, just replace the lines. They're cheap and pretty easy to change. Hope that helps.
Alright, was afraid of that.

Yeah, I was good on the orings. Lines are in great shape, just the fittings aren't matching up goo, one is halfway off. It's tapped for hydro assist, and those lines are what is leaking. I tried tightening them and it helped, but still leaks...Just getting tired of adding to it lol.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:49 AM

Alright, was afraid of that. Yeah, I was good on the orings. Lines are in great shape, just the fittings aren't matching up goo, one is halfway off. It's tapped for hydro assist, and those lines are what is leaking. I tried tightening them and it helped, but still leaks...Just getting tired of adding to it lol.
Not that it's a good fix, but have you tried different fluid with a stop leak additive? To see if that remedies it?
Old 03-27-2015, 11:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Notchet. I was curious about that though. I had saw some people were having good luck with it. It isn't leaking bad around the seal. I plan on replacing those orings and see how bad it really is around the seal. If it isn't real bad I may try an additive.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:58 AM

Notchet. I was curious about that though. I had saw some people were having good luck with it. It isn't leaking bad around the seal. I plan on replacing those orings and see how bad it really is around the seal. If it isn't real bad I may try an additive.
I'd degrease it and get it good and clean from the leaking residue and monitor it to see how bad it really is. If it's leaving decent size puddles then I'd just go ahead a replace the seals anyways. Having piece of mind it's fixed is better than putting a bandage on it.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Does anyone have a write up on the input seal replacement? I have looked, and it is definitely the input shaft seal that is leaking as well as the 2 hydraulic fittings that have rubber orings. The pitman arm seal may or may not be leaking a little as well. It is hard to tell right now.

Can anyone confirm that the YJ box needs to be disassembled in order to change the input shaft seals?