Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Starts but won't idle without dying

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Starts but won't idle without dying

91 XJ. Stock.

This is the second time the thing has done this. The first time we replaced some kind of pulley. (I'm totally pulling the female card and not remembering exactly what this was.) My late father did the part, being a Jeep mechanic. But unfortunately he's not around anymore to help me out...so I'm asking you guys!

Have done the fuel filter, pump was done a short time ago also. But I'm a little frustrated and confused. It will start right up, and idles great during warm up. After I jet down the road a ways and stop, it idles real rough and wants to die...unless I ride the gas like a nagging wife.

Anyways, any ideas? I am out of them. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2018, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by seraphim
91 XJ. Stock.

This is the second time the thing has done this. The first time we replaced some kind of pulley. (I'm totally pulling the female card and not remembering exactly what this was.) My late father did the part, being a Jeep mechanic. But unfortunately he's not around anymore to help me out...so I'm asking you guys!

Have done the fuel filter, pump was done a short time ago also. But I'm a little frustrated and confused. It will start right up, and idles great during warm up. After I jet down the road a ways and stop, it idles real rough and wants to die...unless I ride the gas like a nagging wife.

Anyways, any ideas? I am out of them. Thank you!
Is the check engine light on? Could be the idle air control valve. That valve controls how much air goes into the engine when idling. If you press the gas lightly will it still run or do you have to floor it to keep it running? How to pull cel codes from 91 Jeep This websites shows how to pull the troubleshooting codes from the car.