Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Starting problems

Old 01-20-2011, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4L v6
Default Starting problems

I have a 99 XJ, and when the weather started turning cold, I started having problems with it starting. At first it would take more and more to get it turn over. Then one day it wouldn't start at all.
I put in a new battery with 1000 cca and it got better then started doing it again.
Today my wife called since she was stuck at the store and it wouldn't start. It will crank like its trying start but wont turn over. The battery guage on the dash is only around 9volts when it is cranking.

I replaced the pos and neg battery cables after this problem started, but it didn't improve things at all.

I am wondering what else I can check or what the problem might be.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:40 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by ski_junkie
I have a 99 XJ, and when the weather started turning cold, I started having problems with it starting. At first it would take more and more to get it turn over. Then one day it wouldn't start at all.
I put in a new battery with 1000 cca and it got better then started doing it again.
Today my wife called since she was stuck at the store and it wouldn't start. It will crank like its trying start but wont turn over. The battery guage on the dash is only around 9volts when it is cranking.

I replaced the pos and neg battery cables after this problem started, but it didn't improve things at all.

I am wondering what else I can check or what the problem might be.
Whats the volt meter say while its running? is the Alt charging...Tj
Old 01-20-2011, 03:47 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

i have the exact same problem right now. i replace spark plugs dist. cap and a vacume hose ran fine for a day and now it doesnt i need help now
Old 01-20-2011, 08:34 PM

ok....
I got off work tonight and had a friend give me a ride and help me jump my xj. It was pain in the **** to jump start. Had to crank it and just keep tapping the gas as quick as i could and after about 4 or 5 tries, it finally turned over and started. When i got home i let it run for 20 min or so and it has been starting fine the few times i have tried since then.
I also changed out the pos terminal tonight because i didn't really like the type i had in it before, things just didn't fit right in it.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 ho

it might be your alternator
Old 01-20-2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by xjmuddigger
it might be your alternator
I was really hopeing that wasn't going to be the problem. but after some reading, it looks like it might be. I have some other symptoms of at bad alternator.... while driving the head light will occasionally dim when the fan kicks on or other random times.

What year xj or zj alternators will fit in my 99xj? I think I want something better than stock if it is a straight swap since I plan on adding lights and other things this summer.
Also is it ok to use a JY alternator or is it better to pick up a new one?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:32 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ski_junkie
I was really hopeing that wasn't going to be the problem. but after some reading, it looks like it might be. I have some other symptoms of at bad alternator.... while driving the head light will occasionally dim when the fan kicks on or other random times.

What year xj or zj alternators will fit in my 99xj? I think I want something better than stock if it is a straight swap since I plan on adding lights and other things this summer.
Also is it ok to use a JY alternator or is it better to pick up a new one?
Easy fix. You can do this on your own. I replaced mine about a month ago. Cost about $118 and took about an hour and a half. If you get it going again you need to take it to a parts store to test.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:38 AM

This morning i went out and my jeep started right up, better than it has in a while. I took it over to a parts store and had the batter and alternator tested and they both tested good.

So as of right now, I am going to say this problem was probably caused by me with a bad terminal connector.