Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Starting problem

Ok so I'm trying to strip some non-needed items in my cherokee, and yesterday I took out that bottom piece of the dash where the ash tray and that vent under the steering wheel is. but to sum it up, i took that dash piece out and there were three things that were attached to it and i jsut took them off and zip tied under the dash. Now i can't get my XJ to turn over. I can turn on the headlights but when I turn the key there is nothing. Nothing comes on no buzz or chimes or lights or anything! Please, does anyone have any advice? This is my first jeep and siked about getting in the trails with it. Thanks for looking.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:03 PM

If it helps to be more clear, there were only three components that I moved off the lower dash piece. One is a emissions part(its clear and like a dark smoked plastic part) and a skinny big yellow box and a metal silver box(it was under the glove box area), the other two boxes were under the steering column. I can pull the headlight **** out and I have lights. But if I just turn the key there is nothing! No power or click or nothing. I have the battery charging right now just in case but its a yellow top optima battery so I'm pretty sure its fine, not real sure. Anybody got anything?
Old 09-11-2010, 12:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1985
Engine: puny lil 4 cyld... 2,5 litres, I-4, carburettor

Have you hooked them back up to see what happens?
Does it make a click? does it sound like a dead battery? Have you put a volt meter or a test light on anything?

I would rehook them to see what happens. It would help to know if there is any noise at all when you turn the key.
Next if you don't have a meter get a cheap test light and find where the power stops. I am not sure what year you have. On my 85 there is a starter solenoid I believe you have a relay in the newer models.
Look for where the power stops, check the main ground strap that goes to the engine block. It is known to wear out over time. Replace with a 4gauge wire if it looks like its needed.

Start there. Let us know what year we are looking at. and any noises.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:57 AM

I have a '89 XJ and it ran just fine the other day and I parked it because the top radiator hose blew in half, and while I am waiting to get another hose I took that dash piece out, but the three boxes stayed hooked up and I didn't unhook them or anything just took them off the dash and moved them under the main dash, the only thing I can really think is that one of the boxes I moved is like a tilt sensor and I have it in the wrong position?!? But I turn the key from off to ACC to start and there is no noise or anything at all! But like I said I can not have the key on or even in ignition and I can turn on the headlights! Does this help?
Old 09-11-2010, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1985
Engine: puny lil 4 cyld... 2,5 litres, I-4, carburettor

I am doubtful that there is a tilt sensor in an 89. In my 85 The headlights can be turned on and off whenever as well. I am thinking it is in your starting system. Look at your battery and follow the positive cable. Like I said I have a solenoid in my 85 but I don't think you do. Either way, Whatever is between your battery, and starter needs to be checked out. Its either a solenoid, or a relay.

I know you just changed your hose and took off the plastic. But about 2 months ago I was doing a compression test. I tested the first 2 moved the gauge went to turn the key, and nothing. It turns out that my solenoid decided it was done.
I know there is a way to test a solenoid, not sure on a relay To test and know if it is good or not. But check them out .

I will check back a little sooner this time.