Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

starting issue!! please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default starting issue!! please help!!

So I recently aquired a 96 xJ 4.0.. it has been sitting for a couple years.. I already removed the old gas .. I put an optima in it.. all the lights work.. when the key is in the run position all accessories and bells and whistles.function.. but when I turn the key to start it disentangle do anything no click no crank no nothing.. I made sure the shifter was all the way in park.. and I even tried in neutral.. with the key in the on position I tried jumping the starter with a screw driver and it cranks over fine.. what would be causing this?? I have a continuity tester ( test light) .. where should I start poking around?? Thanks for your time
Old 02-06-2012, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6

well if the engine cranks when you do the screwdriver method id start with the relay, you can just swap one of the others to test, then the ignition and wiring
Old 02-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1987
Engine: I6

That my friend is the NSS (neutral safety switch). A quick search will yield you a fix.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:08 PM

Swap one of the other what??
Old 02-06-2012, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6

oh yea nss i knew theyre was something i forgot lol, read up on it its not to hard to take off and clean, or you can jump it to test it.

the starter relay is next to the fuel pump, head light and other relays and some are the same.

free stuff to try first is best

oh and hello fellow Oregonian
Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 PM

Awesome thanks ill.start there.. ill let you guys know what I come up with.. but please in the mean time if anyone has any other ideas of things to check.. please feel free to add your two cents.. thanks again
Old 02-08-2012, 01:23 PM

So I tried swapping relays and still no crank or click or nothing.. I tried making sure it was fully in park.. I even tried it in neutral.. I have a test light where should I be poking??
Old 02-08-2012, 01:45 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder

see if your gettin power on the small terminal wire that comes off of the starter if u are gettin power wen u turn the key an your starter isnt engaging then your starter could be jammed if u are gettin power your relay and everything else is fine just get your starter tested by a shop an dont let me fool u
Old 02-08-2012, 01:47 PM
CF Veteran

i replaced my hole ignition system an i came down to only being my starter which autozone said was fine at first
Old 02-08-2012, 02:50 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: Inline 6 4.0

I think you missed a step... Someone above mentioned checking the Neutral Safety Switch!!! This is the switch that tells your xj it is in park or neutral so it will crank!
Check this thing man you can even jump the two wires together and then try and start her up. this is probably gonna be under the plastic surrounding your shift lever.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:11 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Cherry_key
I think you missed a step... Someone above mentioned checking the Neutral Safety Switch!!! This is the switch that tells your xj it is in park or neutral so it will crank!
Check this thing man you can even jump the two wires together and then try and start her up. this is probably gonna be under the plastic surrounding your shift lever.
your nss switch is on the side of your trans not in the plastic sourounding the shifter
Old 02-08-2012, 03:36 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by davirbaked
So I tried swapping relays and still no crank or click or nothing.. I tried making sure it was fully in park.. I even tried it in neutral.. I have a test light where should I be poking??
Since it sounds like your NSS could be a suspect, here are a couple of pics to help you rule it out.
If you 'jumper' B & C wires together it should allow the starter to spin the engine with THE IGNITION KEY if the NSS is the problem. Make sure it's in Park tho, as with the safety switch 'out of the circuit' it CAN spin in gear (not good)
Also, don't jumper the 'switch side' of the connector, jumper the other side Hope this helps!

Edit: If the starter still won't engage with the key, then I'd check the ignition switch
Attached Images   

Last edited by kjc; 02-08-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:51 PM

Hey guys huge thanks to all of you!! I pulled my switch apart and cleaned it.. the springs were so coroded they were stuck closed.. with some cleaner and new grease she turns right over.. anyone who needs to clean their switch don't be scared like I was to attempt it... it was much simpler than expected!!
Old 02-09-2012, 02:02 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by davirbaked
Hey guys huge thanks to all of you!! I pulled my switch apart and cleaned it.. the springs were so coroded they were stuck closed.. with some cleaner and new grease she turns right over.. anyone who needs to clean their switch don't be scared like I was to attempt it... it was much simpler than expected!!
i need to clean up nss switch what do u do exactly an what is there i need to expect
Old 02-10-2012, 12:58 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by stev-o
i need to clean up nss switch what do u do exactly an what is there i need to expect
http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neut...ty-switch-nss/

Quick Reply: starting issue!! please help!!