Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

starter issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 05:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default starter issue?

Here is a little back story on the jeep, I have a 99 XJ 4.0 with about 110K on it. Recently it has been having a slightly longer then normal crank before starting, but has always started and runs great. About 2 weeks ago the long start, started sounding "weak" but again still alway started. Yesterday after it sitting for a few days I drove it, started a little weak, but nothing unusual. Well I went to start it again while hot, and it wouldn't even crank. After sitting for a few hours, it started though. So when the starter gets hot, it doesn't even crank.. Also to rule some things out, the battery voltage is reading good, and the battery was replace in January. So I am going to try to build a heat sheild between the block and starter to keep the heat out (my dad has a built 66 El Camino with a 355 with some goodies, that has the same issue and the heat shield works great for him) and if that doesn't help, do you think it time for a starter, or I saw you can just replace the starter seleniod, would that help? Also if it comes down to needing a starter, what are you guys running, that's fair priced and duriable? Maybe with a good lifetime warranty if any exist?
Thanks!

Last edited by bmrrwolfe; 09-12-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L i6

Heat shield is the way to go. I have a '66 Malibu with the same issues thanks to the Hooker Headers. I bought a cheap heat shield from Summit Racing and have no more issues.

Then again, you should probably think about replacing it if its been having this problem for awhile now. www.rockauto.com is really cheap if you dont mind waiting a day or two for the part to come. Ive used them 2 times now and both times no issues. Otherwise run down to your local autozone and pick one up.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by kissthis66
Heat shield is the way to go. I have a '66 Malibu with the same issues thanks to the Hooker Headers. I bought a cheap heat shield from Summit Racing and have no more issues.

Then again, you should probably think about replacing it if its been having this problem for awhile now. www.rockauto.com is really cheap if you dont mind waiting a day or two for the part to come. Ive used them 2 times now and both times no issues. Otherwise run down to your local autozone and pick one up.
Thanks for the tips! When I get off work, I will try to mock up a heatsheild and just clean up terminals and see what happens. The XJ isn't my DD, so I could wait a few days, but its still $150 from rockauto for their "cheapest" and run up to $250 for other brands, which is steep for a college guy at the beginning of the semester...