Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Start/ No Start Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 02:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994/ 96 engine
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight 6 Baby!
Default Start/ No Start Issue

I dunno what to think at this point, 94 xj 4.0 with 96 motor. I installed fog light wiring with a relay and it did not want to start after that,,,constant cranking. I traced tons of wires and found really crappy camshaft position sensor connections. So I respliced and cleaned it up.Would not start after all that. Next day started first thing. Ran like a champ. Today. This morning. Would not start again. I set up a strap so my bro could put me in the street for a tow this week. Went to work on my other car(altima 3.5) 5 hours later went to go put the jeep in the street. Started right UP! So I put it in the dam street. Has to be electrical somewhere. I just dont know where to look anymore and am out of time. It seems to work when it wants to at this point, I could go out there now and it may start or just turn over and over. If it starts it will stay running and I can get it to my mechanic. But I have to work the rest of the week so I dunno. I think there is a bad wire somewhere...annnd once again I am out of time to find it. Well I will keep you all posted of course...outlandish ideas are welcome at this point!
Old 01-01-2019, 03:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by DCWinterXJ
I dunno what to think at this point, 94 xj 4.0 with 96 motor. I installed fog light wiring with a relay and it did not want to start after that,,,constant cranking. I traced tons of wires and found really crappy camshaft position sensor connections. So I respliced and cleaned it up.Would not start after all that. Next day started first thing. Ran like a champ. Today. This morning. Would not start again. I set up a strap so my bro could put me in the street for a tow this week. Went to work on my other car(altima 3.5) 5 hours later went to go put the jeep in the street. Started right UP! So I put it in the dam street. Has to be electrical somewhere. I just dont know where to look anymore and am out of time. It seems to work when it wants to at this point, I could go out there now and it may start or just turn over and over. If it starts it will stay running and I can get it to my mechanic. But I have to work the rest of the week so I dunno. I think there is a bad wire somewhere...annnd once again I am out of time to find it. Well I will keep you all posted of course...outlandish ideas are welcome at this point!
Manual or automatic? If auto, have you checked neutral safety switch? Just a thought. One that is going out shows symptoms like yours, which of course is unrelated to the other wiring work you did.

EDIT: in re-reading your post, if it is cranking but no start, then probably not the NSS. Sorry about the goose chase...

Last edited by 3Dog; 01-01-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 3Dog
Manual or automatic? If auto, have you checked neutral safety switch? Just a thought. One that is going out shows symptoms like yours, which of course is unrelated to the other wiring work you did.
Automatic...hmm I suppose I will check that. I can google that without issue I hope! Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-01-2019, 03:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Actually I have messed with the shifter by trying to start in neutral and what not so I do not think this is the issue, however it does seem like a part I should clean and get back in shape. But I do not think it is the problem. Thanks again for your advice!
Old 01-01-2019, 03:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Actually I have messed with the shifter by trying to start in neutral and what not so I do not think this is the issue, however it does seem like a part I should clean and get back in shape. But I do not think it is the problem. Thanks again for your advice!
Sorry, just re-read your post. If it is cranking but no start, it is probably NOT the NSS.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Default Revelation??

So here is my latest update regarding the start/no start issue. Today I dropped it off to my mechanic. Now if it didn't start I was going to have it towed. So I was prepared for whatever.
Turned the key...always cranks strong but no luck...no evidence it will start...fluffled the throttle a little too. So I got out and walked about 20 feet in the rain and just stared at it preparing to go through the whole towing process.
I walked back and decided to try one more time. Now I remember reading somewhere in some thread by someone...that they floor it sometimes and it will start....since I never tried that before I figured what the hell and floored the pedal while cranking and boooooom! She started up like an angry beast! Finally a breakthrough yet I don't know what that means. She will always stay running once started. She is with the mechanic now. But do any of you know what it means when you have to floor it to get it started? That seems to me more like a fuel issue than electrical. Any insight into this new development would be very helpful. But no tow required!
Old 01-10-2019, 06:04 PM
Seasoned Member

So here is my latest update regarding the start/no start issue. Today I dropped it off to my mechanic. Now if it didn't start I was going to have it towed. So I was prepared for whatever.
Turned the key...always cranks strong but no luck...no evidence it will start...fluffled the throttle a little too. So I got out and walked about 20 feet in the rain and just stared at it preparing to go through the whole towing process.
I walked back and decided to try one more time. Now I remember reading somewhere in some thread by someone...that they floor it sometimes and it will start....since I never tried that before I figured what the hell and floored the pedal while cranking and boooooom! She started up like an angry beast! Finally a breakthrough yet I don't know what that means. She will always stay running once started. She is with the mechanic now. But do any of you know what it means when you have to floor it to get it started? That seems to me more like a fuel issue than electrical. Any insight into this new development would be very helpful. But no tow required!
Sooo the latest update is it is not a fuel issue. My mechanic tested the pressure and it is right on line. But the crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, and distributor are all getting replaced. I still think the camshaft position sensor shorting out screwed up all this crap. I will find out tomorrow. Sucks. He doesn't really work on older vehicles like mine but since we are good friends he took it in. I will keep you updated if he gets her back in line!
Old 01-10-2019, 06:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Sooo the latest update is it is not a fuel issue. My mechanic tested the pressure and it is right on line. But the crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, and distributor are all getting replaced. I still think the camshaft position sensor shorting out screwed up all this crap. I will find out tomorrow. Sucks. He doesn't really work on older vehicles like mine but since we are good friends he took it in. I will keep you updated if he gets her back in line!
Suggest changing just the front oxygen sensor at this point and seeing how the engine responds because the symptom you have is a typical O2 sensor failure. Don't throw any other parts at it until you rule that out first.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Idunno
Suggest changing just the front oxygen sensor at this point and seeing how the engine responds because the symptom you have is a typical O2 sensor failure. Don't throw any other parts at it until you rule that out first.
I will let him know..thanks!