Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stalling and slight miss every now and then at idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Stalling and slight miss every now and then at idle

So I have a 2000 cherokee with the 4.0 a/t. I recently threw another used motor in with 130k on it, the jeep itself has 151k. It runs great, nice and smooth but Ever since I put It in I have had a problem with it stalling only at idle. It also has a slight miss that has been developed it will just miss once every now and then usually a few times right before it stalls but it throws no misfire codes. Another thing the motor I got was from a jy and it didn't have a place to plug in some sort of sensor that my header pipe had on it. It will do this 3-6 times a day. Generally if I drive it for 45 minutes or so it won't do it but that's not ALWAYS the case but it does get better as its driven.

I got a code for
asd relay(7times)
Alternator code can't remember why exactly(1)
No cam signal at pcm
No crank position at pcm (this and the cam signal are the two reoccurring codes)
Injector number 3 code(1)
Converter bank 1 failure?

So here's what I have done:
Replaced crank sensor twice with good quality sensors in fear of a sensor failing out of the box as has happened to me before

Replaced cam sensor with autozone sensor

Replaced asd relay

Cleaned throttle body, ran an induction cleaning, and a bottle of injector cleaner. After I did this it did not stall for a few days rather instead the rpms would just dip down to 150-200 then jump up to 900 and level out at 700-800(700-800 is normal correct?)

Reindexed the cam sensor and oil pump drive shaft (worked for 3-4 days then symptoms reoccurred)

Swapped pcm with a buddy no change and his did not stall with my computer.

I'd really like to get this fixed soon because I have a lift and a few other parts on the way and Id like to have it in good working order before installing everything any help is appreciated! I do have access to a snap on scanner at work it's one of the really nice ones so if there's anytests I could run with this please let me know. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-31-2015, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Keep your old header so that way u can plug in the sensor on it.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

well another problem arose today that allowed me to kill 2 birds with one stone.

i was pulling my boat to work and started having a surge and misfire i drove the **** out of it till i got a misfire code on cylinder 6. a guy at work said the dipping down of the idle sounded like a map sensor, and sure enough i swapped the sensor from the old motor and no more stalling or fluctuating idle. as for the surging and shaking cylinder 6 was dead i tested for spark and nada put in a new coil pack and its running like a dream.

the stalling i believe was a combination of sensors. mostly the map and crank sensor. if anybody reads this and has more questions just reply and ill try to help. hope this helps someone!