Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Crankshaft Position Sensor installed with ease and sucess today on my 96

Old 06-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1996 Two Door Wagoneer
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Crankshaft Position Sensor Installed with Ease and Success Today on 96 Sport

Been getting a code on this for a while. Momentary loss of signal. Got on it before it totally died. I bought a Mopar unit from the local Jeep dealer. Fit right.
Had to drop the TCase skid. Used about 40 inches of ratchet extension, a wobble joint, and an 11mm socket (7/16). I put the wobble joint right at the socket and used some tape around it all to keep the joint from flopping over, but leave it some flex. Used one hand high and forward above the front drive shaft as a guide, and turned the wrench from back and below the t-case with the other hand. Not too much trouble.
To reinstall, from the top just inboard of the brake master cyl, I moved some vac hoses and the throttle cable out of the way to reinstall the plastic dust cover and install the new CKS from above. Hand and arm could barely fit down behind the intake manifold. Had to use the Braille method, since once my arm was down there the view was obstructed. But with a few tries all worked out. Make sure you get the dust cover on right, as it guides and holds the sensor until you can bolt it up.
Bolts were reinstalled from below. Used a bit of tape to hold the bolts in the socket. Aim was easy. They screwed right in.
I will repeat a tip I read elsewhere: Remove the top bolt first on removal. Install the bottom bolt first on installation. This will help avoid a bolt dropping down the hole into the bell housing.
Engine fired right up. Runs real smooth! No back fires. Test drove fine.
I was advised to purchase OEM Mopar sensor. It was about a hundred bucks. This I did. But I had absolutely no problems with it.

Last edited by HappyTrails; 06-01-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

That's great! Good job. I love it when there's no problem that occurred during a repair