Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stalling in puddles

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Stalling in puddles

My girlfriend jeep has been stalling out in deeper puddles. It has 6.5" on it with 33s and when it gets up to about the bottom of the doors it will stall. You can restart it but it shuits back down instantly. Once you winch it out it starts right back up and runs fine. It never used to do this, it just started. So on the way back to my house I ghhad her hit some of the wtaer holes relatively hard and it would sputter but stay running. Also when I went home I took the hose and hosed everything with pressure. Everything being cap, wires sensors, you name it I soaked it lol and it ran fine. Really pissing me off though because where we are going this weekend some of the water is about 4 feet deep and cant have this happening. Any Guesses?
Old 05-25-2012, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: Renix 4.0

CPS
Old 05-25-2012, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI : just priced a CPS at the Jeep dealer for a 2000 4.0: $75
Old 05-25-2012, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by jakbob
CPS

i should be able to soak the crap out of it with the hose and make it stall then right. I guess youre thinking cracked insallation or housing?
Old 05-25-2012, 10:17 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mudboy
i should be able to soak the crap out of it with the hose and make it stall then right. I guess youre thinking cracked insallation or housing?
probably. but unless you get under the jeep and spray on top of the bellhousing, it wont get hit. couple of questions.

1. is the maintenance cover on the front of the tranny on/tight?

im thinking when the water level gets that high, it gets carried by the torque converter/flex plate (or clutch/flywheel) and screwing stuff up. just a thought.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:25 AM

nah it's not from what I can remember. thats a good philosophy. It just started doing this the last 3 times we had it out. I'm gonna climb under it tonight and try if that doesnt work Im gonna have her back into some of the holes nice and slow and see where it cuts out at
Old 05-25-2012, 10:27 AM

little more info 1990, aw4
Old 05-25-2012, 10:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.6 Re-Built Golen, 68-200-4 Comp Cam
Default Grounds

How do the grounds down by the distributor look? It's where the ignition coil bolts to the block. There are two grounds down there within an inch of each other.

If they look rusty I would definitely take them apart and steel wire scrub them and the block.

Also check out the ones that attach to the alternator while you're down there. Do the same thing.

When you're done with both put a heavy dosing of some sort of eletrical protectant paste. The more you go in water the more the metal grounds rust. The more they rust the more the affect the voltages sent to the ECU to monitor readings (ignition timing being the most important).

This might not be the problem you are having right now, but anyone who spends time in water frequently should definitely take this measure.

Jeeps are made to go through water, but metal grounds are metal grounds. They aren't water-proofed and they will rust. Rusty grounds are the enemy of you water/mud logger/boggers.

Love,
Wayne
Old 05-25-2012, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

...or you can just tell her to take a big dose of no-*****-foot and hit the puddles doing 40. Have the camera rolling when she does. I want to see it.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:35 AM
CF Veteran

1990 was still renix. coil pack is on the fender.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:37 AM

lol she has no ***** foot, wheels harder than most of the males we go out with. I'll check the grounds but don't think it's the issue. I usually coat everything in dielectric grease. been playing in the local mudholes for 30 years lol. I've learned the hasrd way on most things, thisone just really has me boggled
Old 05-25-2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by jakbob
1990 was still renix. coil pack is on the fender.

yep. I hate it. I look under the hood of my 96 then hers..... hers makes me wanna puke. Cant wait to cut her jeep up and put it all under an
HO truck. I kniow Renix had alot oif ground issues but i had them soaking in water last night, with no problems. I'm sorta liking the idea of the CPS
Old 05-25-2012, 11:47 AM
CF Veteran

Maybe she just has a wimpy jeep that doesn't like to get wet. Have you thought about that factor?

I have a jeep that fears wire nuts. Whenever I use those on my shadetree aftermarket splice jobs it doesn't want to work either.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:57 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mudboy
yep. I hate it. I look under the hood of my 96 then hers..... hers makes me wanna puke. Cant wait to cut her jeep up and put it all under an
HO truck. I kniow Renix had alot oif ground issues but i had them soaking in water last night, with no problems. I'm sorta liking the idea of the CPS
i dont know why you dont like renix. i love mine. and i do all of the electrical work. check my build thread to see how deep i have dived. including a true upgraded headlight stock harness.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:57 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CoffeeCommando
Maybe she just has a wimpy jeep that doesn't like to get wet. Have you thought about that factor?

I have a jeep that fears wire nuts. Whenever I use those on my shadetree aftermarket splice jobs it doesn't want to work either.
thats cause wire nuts dont like to be shook lol

Quick Reply: Stalling in puddles