Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stalling issues need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Stalling issues need help!!

wassup guys and gals, i think this may be my 1st post i try and search before posting but this has me stumped.

So my jeep starts fine and i get out of the driveway fine but at the stop sign down the road it usually dies when i give it gas and try to go again. It generally starts right back up and goes fine the rest of my trip

I recently replaced the fuel injectors and I have had them tested so they are good, also replaced the fuel pressure regulator and made sure the fuel rail was good, had the system pressure tested and it was in spec at both idle and w the key in the on position. ive also put on a new fuel filter.

the guy at the shop said since the pressure tested fine he had no reason to recommend a new fuel pump but ive replaced everything else and i know some things are quirky, since im new to cherokees i was hoping i could get some input from some experienced jeep owners
Old 12-24-2008, 01:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

To my knowledge its not the fuel pump. Unless for some strange reason its stalling out when the pump gets blocked by something.

Does it do it only once a day? Hot or cold engine? On first startup? Do you let it warm up at all?
Old 12-24-2008, 02:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

I would try testing your TPS or unplugging and replugging in your CPS.

Although usually you will notice something quirky from then on while your driving it. If it only dies once and then restarts with out any problems and doesn't die anymore they whole trip I would let it go until it gets worse so we can diagnose it better.

It is renix and there is no way to get a code from it. I see no point what so ever in changing out the fuel pump.

Have you done a tune up lately, cleaned out your CVC system.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Pull your Idle Speed Motor out of the front side of your Throttle Body and clean out the bore. Read out your Throttle Position Sensor on the front side of your Throttle Body to see if it is good. Make sure the vacuum hose on your Fuel Pressure Regulator is on, in good shape and not leaking.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by fivendime
To my knowledge its not the fuel pump. Unless for some strange reason its stalling out when the pump gets blocked by something.

Does it do it only once a day? Hot or cold engine? On first startup? Do you let it warm up at all?
sorry i was gone for xmas and finally back to my pc.

anyways, it sometimes does it once and runs fine the rest of my commute and other times it will die 3-4 times within 1/4 a mile, especially if it involves letting off the gas pedal.

i get better results if i do warm the eng. up but that doesnt guarantee it wont die.
it always starts up fine on initial start up, its after i get going and have to come to a stop.
I dorve it xmas night and sure enough it died at the stop sign down the road. the stop sign is at a bit of an incline but i dont think that has anything to do with it as it also dies on flat ground only this time it did not want to start back up so i had to let it sit for a cpl hrs and go back to it and then it started up right away.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

What have you done to it since we posted up.

Have you tried any of our suggestions.

CPS and what not!
Old 12-29-2008, 09:57 AM

BTW,
my fuel injectors were leaking from the top and that is why i had to replace them. I had a set of ford injectors put in as i was told they are less likely to leak as the oem's from jeep. they were simple plug and play so i dont see how this could be the problem. Although I only had the jeep a few months before this happened but i never once had a problem with it dieing before these injectors were installed.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by XJ Stryker
What have you done to it since we posted up.

Have you tried any of our suggestions.

CPS and what not!
ive been too busy because of xmas but i will have more time this weekend so i will try some suggestions out then.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:43 PM
CF Veteran

Does it ever misfire or backfire through your throttle body.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:44 PM

how's it start, real long crank? I have a similar issue with my jeep. I am going to try replacing the crank position sensor. Which I am hoping will resolve both issues as i have done everything so far the guys on here have mentioned and still have the same problem. I'll post again with my progress.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by BigRed
how's it start, real long crank? I have a similar issue with my jeep. I am going to try replacing the crank position sensor. Which I am hoping will resolve both issues as i have done everything so far the guys on here have mentioned and still have the same problem. I'll post again with my progress.
I def. noticed that the crank is a little longer than normal. i thought it was a starter issue though.

im not a tech so i have to take my jeep to the shop and relay the info from here, so im hoping to get some more good input and get this issue resolved.
sounds as though im def not gonna replace the fuel pump and focus on the TPS and CPS.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

Did it have this problem BEFORE injectors were changed?

Are you sure you got the 19lb FERD injectors?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:09 PM
CF Veteran

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/showth...ght=backfiring
Mine would randomly stall as well, and there is a few other people that have had the same problem.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:35 PM

Unhappy stalling problem

please give me advise about my 94 jeep cherokee it stop while driving i change fuel pump/fuel filter /fuel pressure regulator air filte clean throtel body new radiato/lwater pump but still its runs good for a few day then it stop again it start right away thou n the temp goes up on the traffic but when it runs temp goes down please advice me tnx

Last edited by zaphandyman; 08-31-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:34 AM
CF Veteran

Your CPS connector could be a little loose, Check to see if it is tight or clean.

Quick Reply: Stalling issues need help!!