Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

squeeling belt

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter
Default squeeling belt

Every now and then (when I stop at a stop light/stop sign) with the AC on the belt will start squeeling when I pull off the stop.

I'm getting ready to put a new belt on it and hope that will fix it but if it doesn't I may need to look further.

Of course, when the belt start squeeling/slipping the volts drop off since the alternator isn't turning as fast. At this point I don't know if the alternator is the only thing slipping or if the belt is slipping on the crank pulley and everything is running slower.

Once sure way to stop it and make it "grab" again is to momentarily turn off the AC. The belt stops squeeling and I can turn the AC on again and drive on down the road with no issues.

The new belt may stop this, it may not. If not I'll have to ID the spot where the belt is slipping and go from there.

Many years ago my wife's Olds 98 would squeel when you turned the steering wheel to far (power steering belt, not a serpentine belt set up). I tried new belts and that didn't stop it. I finally took the power steering pump pulley off and used a file to "rough" up the polished/shiny inside surfaces of the "V" in the pulley and when I reinstalled it there squeeling issue was gone. Anyone ever do this on a Jeep pulley??
Old 09-25-2010, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Consider tightening the belt up a bit. That squeeling is sometimes associated with a lose belt. Try that out first. Let us know.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 L

Also known as Ned Beatty syndrome
Old 09-25-2010, 04:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 81Z4ME
Every now and then (when I stop at a stop light/stop sign) with the AC on the belt will start squeeling when I pull off the stop.

I'm getting ready to put a new belt on it and hope that will fix it but if it doesn't I may need to look further.

Of course, when the belt start squeeling/slipping the volts drop off since the alternator isn't turning as fast. At this point I don't know if the alternator is the only thing slipping or if the belt is slipping on the crank pulley and everything is running slower.

Once sure way to stop it and make it "grab" again is to momentarily turn off the AC. The belt stops squeeling and I can turn the AC on again and drive on down the road with no issues.
Take a bar of soap and rub it on the belt, most of the time unless you have bad bearings in one of the pulleys that will stop the squeel.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

i had the same problem on my 96, i replaced the belt and all is well. tip: make sure you get it to the proper tension or it will continue. also if you have an electric fan, remove it to make the job a whole lot easier.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

If it's an old belt, be careful with the overtightening... it might pop on you.