Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

squeel coming from the middle of my Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 02:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default squeel coming from the middle of my Jeep

Okay, I'm still trying to fix everything after mudding. Currently, and hopefully the last thing, it is a squeeling noise coming from the middle of my Jeep from the time I start moving until about 20mph. If I let off the throttle it goes away. I know it's not coming from under the hood. It's not a constant squeel, but it is consistent (squeel...squeel...squeel) like when you have a rock in your tire treads. That narrows it down to something that rotates. My thoughts are rear driveshaft u-joints but I've only heard of them clicking, not squeeling. The faster I go, the "closer" the squeels occur to each other until about 20mph when I can't hear it anymore. Any thoughts?
Old 07-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

If the rollpins in the u joint are not spinning it could squeal.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:16 PM

Mine does the same thing. I had a buddy lay under the jeep while I switched the trans from reverse to drive. did not see any movement in u-joints, but rear trans mount is broken. Greased u-joints, did not help. I am starting to believe it is the rear bearing in the transfer going out. Can't afford to tear it down right now to find out. Hope it holds together till I can fix it. If you find out for sure what it is let me know.
Tom
Old 07-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89

the mouse on the wheel is tired of pushing your jeep
Old 07-28-2010, 08:58 PM
CF Veteran

Put it in 4-hi and 4-lo and the t-case engages fine. if the rear bearing were going out would it still operate fine. It only makes the noise in 2wd. Could it just be mud got in my u-joints and fouled 'em up?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Could be but I'm leaning toward the mouse...

Originally Posted by sandaddik2
the mouse on the wheel is tired of pushing your jeep
Thats some funny $%*!.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:37 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by no rdplz
Okay, I'm still trying to fix everything after mudding. Currently, and hopefully the last thing, it is a squeeling noise coming from the middle of my Jeep from the time I start moving until about 20mph. If I let off the throttle it goes away. I know it's not coming from under the hood. It's not a constant squeel, but it is consistent (squeel...squeel...squeel) like when you have a rock in your tire treads. That narrows it down to something that rotates. My thoughts are rear driveshaft u-joints but I've only heard of them clicking, not squeeling. The faster I go, the "closer" the squeels occur to each other until about 20mph when I can't hear it anymore. Any thoughts?

Hahahah this just happened to me. Exactly the same situation. It would squeal faster and faster than at 20 it stopped. Turns out it was the front driveshaft. The CV joint has a grease seal that got dislogged and ruined. this caused all the grease to leave the joint and make a squeaking sound due to metal on metal contact. The moral of the story is you need to rebuild the CV joint or go to the jy and pick up a new shaft with a working CV.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:00 AM
CF Veteran

talk about great minds thinking alike - I decided yesterday afternoon to go the JY and get a front DS. putting it in tonight. If that doesn't stop it, a rear DS. IF that doesn't do it, then I'm at a loss and will start looking for a mouse on a rusty wheel.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:59 PM

Year: 91

I just fixed the "squeaking" in my 91: rear u-joint was wasted!
Old 07-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Seasoned Member

What no mouse?
Old 07-29-2010, 10:21 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by no rdplz
talk about great minds thinking alike - I decided yesterday afternoon to go the JY and get a front DS. putting it in tonight. If that doesn't stop it, a rear DS. IF that doesn't do it, then I'm at a loss and will start looking for a mouse on a rusty wheel.

How'd it go??
Old 07-30-2010, 12:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default You must give the mouse cheese.

That always stops mine from squeaking. good luck.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:58 PM
CF Veteran

Got the new one on and it's still squeeking, but not as bad. Pulled it off again and started rotating the front t-case yoke and it felt a little rough. I'm pretty sure that's where it's coming from so I'm gonna clean that all out and see what happens.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:07 PM

was welding on a new tail pipe this morning and found the squeal. It is on the rear drive shaft pinion. If you took the pinion nut off, then the pinion yolk, it would be the big metal washer type thing that covers the pinion seal. It is cracked in half and spinning against the rear end housing. since I did not have the time to fix it and I had the welding wand in my hand I tacked it to the rear end housing. Took it out the road, no more squeal. I know it won't stay there since the housing is cast iron, but at least I know what it is now, I was afraid it was the tranfer case.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:40 AM
CF Veteran

Finally got the squeal gone! Turned out to be a number of things:
1. front drive shaft u-joints. All 3 (I've got the double cardan) were bad.
2. front hubs and wheels still had mud between them that I somehow missed when cleaning the Jeep
3. The rear drive shaft u-joints. The front one wasn't too bad, but the rear was horrid. 2 of the caps simply fell off when I took off the u-clamps. No bearings came out, just dust because the bearings were disintegrated. Those same two spindles were no longer round either. One looked like a half-circle. The other looked like 2/3 of a circle. After banging out the other caps, one spindle only had 12 bearings left, the rest were dust. The last spindle still had all the bearings, but no grease whatsoever.
4. There were some very small pieces of dried mud in between the rear wheels and brakes. Again, not sure how I missed it when cleaning, but I did.

As of now the Jeep is no longer squealing, it shifts into gear much smoother now, and I'm glad I finally got the problem fixed.