Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

squeals too much

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default squeals too much

replaced belt and idle pulley.. squeal is still there.. Im wondering if its not water pump.. any ideas?

it is fine at idle. when ac is engaged it squeals .. sounds like from middle of engine not ac compressor.. maybe a stethoscope will help..
Old 07-03-2010, 08:13 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

My 96 squeeled when turning on the AC or the window defrost for a few years and tried also changing the compressor with a used one, 2 surpentene belts. Lubed the bearings and where ever I could think the squeeling was mayhbe coming from. I would watch my alternator gauge drop to @9V and would go back up when I turned off the defroster. I was just about to have a mechanic friend at Sears change the alternator with a used one I picked up and tested to be good. Pulled it into the garage and when I opened the hood to my buddy to check the alternator and the power steering pump FAILED spraying oil all over the engine. We replaced the pump resevior and the squeeling has not returned. I was also informed by a Jeep technician I know that those newer surpentine belts with the angular cuts in the belt cause more squeel problems. He said to use Gates or Oem straight groove belts.
Before replacing the AC compressor check the bearings in the power steering resevoir the possible squeeling if you already replace the surpentine belt.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

my 99 xj has a major squeal when i first start it up everytime i have come to the conclusion that the bearings in my PSP(Power Steering Pump) is going bad. now i need to figure out how to change them
Old 07-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990

Check your harmonic balancer too, if you see a little piece of rubber sticking out or a hole where it should be, replace it. I spend a few months chasing a squeal and thats what it was. Also make sure you tighten the serp. belt enough, XJ's require a really tight belt. The section of belt that goes from the power steering to the ilder shouldn't be able to twist past 90 degrees

chances are if you have a squeal, your belt is already glazed over, so you'll need another. Go to Napa or Carquest and ask for a "Gates" brand belt, they're a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for or go with an OEM.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 99WhiteLightning
my 99 xj has a major squeal when i first start it up everytime i have come to the conclusion that the bearings in my PSP(Power Steering Pump) is going bad. now i need to figure out how to change them
If your pump is bad, just replace the whole pump. When you have the belt off and you turn the power steering pump by hand, does it make noise or do you feel "lumpy" resistance? Is it leaking? Loss of power steering ability? If no, chances are its fine. You probably need a new belt and need to tighen it properly.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by EVcherokee
Check your harmonic balancer too, if you see a little piece of rubber sticking out or a hole where it should be, replace it. I spend a few months chasing a squeal and thats what it was. Also make sure you tighten the serp. belt enough, XJ's require a really tight belt. The section of belt that goes from the power steering to the ilder shouldn't be able to twist past 90 degrees NOT CORRECT

chances are if you have a squeal, your belt is already glazed over, so you'll need another. Go to Napa or Carquest and ask for a "Gates" brand belt, they're a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for or go with an OEM.
While at Napa get a belt tension gage. This $10.00 tool is the ONLY way to correctly tension a serpentine belt. They require 140-160 lbs of tension. Squeal can be caused by looseness and being over tightened, so get the tool and do it right.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 93gc40
While at Napa get a belt tension gage. This $10.00 tool is the ONLY way to correctly tension a serpentine belt. They require 140-160 lbs of tension. Squeal can be caused by looseness and being over tightened, so get the tool and do it right.
X2 I'll have to get one of those, I thought they were a lot more!

My method does work though and is a good thing to know for trail repairs or if your stranded, but if you have a gauge, yes, use it, and do it right.