Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Squealing..

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 03:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 190-hp, 4.0-liter I-6
Default Squealing..

I have a squealing coming from somewhere in my front passenger side area.. Ive taken the tire off and spun it and could hear it, but im not sure whats exactly making the noise. All i know is that its a constant noise until i hit the brakes. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong?

Last edited by Cherokeekid4x4; 04-09-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 litre, line 6

does your ac happen to be on? cause mine makes a weird squeing sound whenever the heat is on . . .
Old 04-09-2012, 04:38 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by coloradocherokee
does your ac happen to be on? cause mine makes a weird squeing sound whenever the heat is on . . .
Umm i dont think so haha its constant so i guess it would happen with the heat on and air on.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 litre, line 6

hmmm im not sure what it could really be then...newb here lol...maybe your wheel bearing? axle? idk...have your friend stick his head out the window and see where its directly coming from haha
Old 04-09-2012, 05:01 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by coloradocherokee
hmmm im not sure what it could really be then...newb here lol...maybe your wheel bearing? axle? idk...have your friend stick his head out the window and see where its directly coming from haha
Haha god I hope its not a wheel bearing, and I know the area its coming from I just don't know what it is!
Old 04-09-2012, 05:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

might be a u-joint or just bad brakes or sumthing stuck in your brakes. is it worse when your turning or do you feel it it the steering wheel because that's a good chnce of a bad ujoint. and wheel bearings arent bad to change. it's just a hub assembly takes about 45 minutes if you know what your doing
Old 04-09-2012, 05:09 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by K2dark_xj
might be a u-joint or just bad brakes or sumthing stuck in your brakes. is it worse when your turning or do you feel it it the steering wheel because that's a good chnce of a bad ujoint. and wheel bearings arent bad to change. it's just a hub assembly takes about 45 minutes if you know what your doing
I thought about the ujoint but I just got the one on that wheel replaced.. and it seems to be more noticeable when I turn. And I've changed wheel bearings on 2wd but never 4wd.. but about the brakes.. could my pads be low enough to the point where that thing starts squealing on it??
Old 04-09-2012, 06:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by K2dark_xj
This is the things that I was thinking of

Originally Posted by Cherokeekid4x4
I thought about the ujoint but I just got the one on that wheel replaced.. and it seems to be more noticeable when I turn. And I've changed wheel bearings on 2wd but never 4wd.. but about the brakes.. could my pads be low enough to the point where that thing starts squealing on it??
Yes sir. If they are low enough to be touching the rivets that hold them together. That is if they are riveted and not the bonded one. If they are the bonded one they can also be low enough to wear all the way down to the metal backing. The thing is if they did get that low you may have to change out the rotors too.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
This is the things that I was thinking of

Yes sir. If they are low enough to be touching the rivets that hold them together. That is if they are riveted and not the bonded one. If they are the bonded one they can also be low enough to wear all the way down to the metal backing. The thing is if they did get that low you may have to change out the rotors too.
Well i know there not that low yet but i know its to the point where i should get some new pads haha