Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sputters and backfires

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Sputters and backfires

Okay guys I’m struggling to figure this one out I have a 98 cherokee 4.0 and aw4 4x4 np231 6.5 iro long arm 33s sye kit it has been in a accident causing airbag to go off but I don’t think that has anything to do with it the Cherokee idles rough and when it’s in park you can kind of get it to rev if you pump the gas pedal it will rev all the way but doesn’t have a rev limiter but it doesn’t want to run right when it’s in drive when you go to take off it sputters bucks and sounds like it’s out of time in a sense it also looses power backfires consistently and ends up dieing if you leave your foot pressed anywhere above 1/4 throttle I’m stumped the Jeep originally would only have problems around 3000 rpm and if you kept it under that it would have probably 75% power but anything over that it would loose power and backfire or anything just lose all of the Engines power till it dies from backfires and I have been trying to get it to run right I’ve replaced tps and tried to plug in a computer from my other Cherokee no help I’ve tried punching cat and muffler nothing rattles I unplugged my o2 sensors and it does the same thing only codes I have are all tranny codes for solonoids and neutral safety sensor I have even tried to unplug the tranny computer and drive it still have same problem if anyone can help this thanks for any help in advance -Chris
Old 03-21-2018, 05:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I don't see any mention of testing fuel pressure. It's the #1 thing any technician would do if you brought it into a shop.

The fuel pressure spec for a 98 is 49 psi, plus or minus 5 psi.

I'm not saying that is your problem. I am saying that is the next thing you need to verify.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
I don't see any mention of testing fuel pressure. It's the #1 thing any technician would do if you brought it into a shop.

The fuel pressure spec for a 98 is 49 psi, plus or minus 5 psi.

I'm not saying that is your problem. I am saying that is the next thing you need to verify.
Okay I will go rent a gauge and post my results
Old 03-22-2018, 02:01 AM

Okay so I did the fuel pressure test was only getting 20psi I replaced pump it runs like a bat out of hell now I just got to get my hands on a nss connecter on the engine harness side of the wiring and put in my spare tranny and I’ll be set thanks so much for your help Man
Old 03-22-2018, 05:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Chris Lanese
Okay so I did the fuel pressure test was only getting 20psi I replaced pump it runs like a bat out of hell now I just got to get my hands on a nss connecter on the engine harness side of the wiring and put in my spare tranny and I’ll be set thanks so much for your help Man
Glad I could help. Another happy Cherokee Forum fix.

Thanks for posting up your results and followup; many do not and we're left wondering how things went.

Post up any other issues you have and we'll try to help!