Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Spring and leaf pack quality vs $$$

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Spring and leaf pack quality vs $$$

Searching the forums and all the XJ info I could find there is a wealth of data out there. When looking to lift a vehicle some say kit X is better than Y because of this that and the other. Looking at all the different shocks I could believe that there is a difference. How about springs and leaf packs? Is one Mfg better than another? I know a loaded question. Reason I ask is that there is a new RC 3" kit I could get for a really decent price, but don't really want to do the work twice.

Also was considering a RE superflex kit. I'm wanting to stay with in a reasonable budget as family expenses are tight, but the suspension is shot on the XJ so it needs the work.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rubicon Express-high dollar and reliable
Rustys- Decently priced and awesome Customer Service and shipping
Rough Country-Less coin but parts starts to sag.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

What you're pretty much gonna hear is this:
Rough Country will give you the cheapest price and a pretty good product.
Rusty's gives a you the middle of the road price and really good product.
Rubicon Express is the most costly, but you get a very good product.

Personally, I have a Rusty's 3" and I've had no issues with it at all. I've been able to do everything one of of my buddy's has done with his RE 4.5 kit. Same with one of my other buddies and his RC 3.5. I wanted a better ride than RC since it's my DD and didn't want to spend $1000 on a lift. Went with Rusty's and am very glad I did. In the end, it's what you want and what you're willing to pay for. Yes, you do get you pay for, but sometimes, you're also paying for a name and getting the same quality as someone less costly.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 97

Originally Posted by Black00XJ
Rubicon Express-high dollar and reliable
Rustys- Decently priced and awesome Customer Service and shipping
Rough Country-Less coin but parts starts to sag.

RE is crap. ive never had a leaf pack fan out so much
Old 09-30-2010, 10:47 AM
CF Veteran

go with denver or alcan leafs
Old 09-30-2010, 11:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by crux
Searching the forums and all the XJ info I could find there is a wealth of data out there. When looking to lift a vehicle some say kit X is better than Y because of this that and the other. Looking at all the different shocks I could believe that there is a difference. How about springs and leaf packs? Is one Mfg better than another? I know a loaded question. Reason I ask is that there is a new RC 3" kit I could get for a really decent price, but don't really want to do the work twice.

Also was considering a RE superflex kit. I'm wanting to stay with in a reasonable budget as family expenses are tight, but the suspension is shot on the XJ so it needs the work.
For a 3 inch lift try OME you can get the front and rear 3" springs for less than 500.00 then pick up the u-bolts and other odds and ends and you've got a great lift and a reasonable price.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Crux it all depends on what you're usng the lift for, and what your priorities are. For stock-like ride quality, and top shelf suspension you will hear universally that Old Man Emu (OME) is hands down the best. But they're very pricey compared to others.
When my XJ was my DD & I went to 3" I did major research then decided to bite the bullet & drop the coin on OME 3". I wasn't disappointed.

The XJ is now mostly offroad use and I run much harder trails (and plan on going harder but not crazy), so I'm getting rid of the OME for something less soft. Right now I'm doing what you are: shopping for springs; I have a similar thread on NAXJA. I'm looking into HD springs like Big Offroad & Currie, with RE as a standby. My Jeep is heavvvy - Rustys are too soft and will sag. So will OME. The word on RE is that their bushings don't last and I was told personally that they will be too soft for my little PIGgy. Royal says they're crap because he wheels hard & they don't hold up for his type of wheeling (I've seen this guy in action!). So you see, decide what you're going to primarily use the Jeep for, then go from there. Rusty's and OME are the softest springs I know, but that's the only similarity between the 2. They exist on opposite ends of the price & quality spectrum. RE seems to be middle of the road.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

IMO build your own is the best. Depending on how much lift parts will vary.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by RoyalXJ
RE is crap. ive never had a leaf pack fan out so much
Thats one in a million

Quality, RE and BDS are the top right now. By quality I mean last the longest without sagging and still give decent flex.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Diesel
Thats one in a million

Quality, RE and BDS are the top right now. By quality I mean last the longest without sagging and still give decent flex.

one in a million? i know a few of my buddies who are having the same problem. since RE out sourced their leafs to india they have been junk

i also had to replace all my leaf bushings within the first 5000 miles

denver, alcan and bds are my picks. especially the alcan's with the orbital eye bushings

Last edited by RoyalXJ; 09-30-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:12 PM
CF Veteran

one in a million? i know a few of my buddies who are having the same problem. since RE out sourced their leafs to india they have been junk
That will do it. OME still does a good set of springs. Just order the heavy springs if you have a winch and get the 3 inch springs instead of the 1.5 -2.5 inch springs with spacers and shackles.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Rock Toy
That will do it. OME still does a good set of springs. Just order the heavy springs if you have a winch and get the 3 inch springs instead of the 1.5 -2.5 inch springs with spacers and shackles.
i will be replacing mine with alcans over the winter
Old 09-30-2010, 03:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

denver, alcan and bds are my picks. especially the alcan's with the orbital eye bushings
I cant argue because the last RE lift I bought was about 2 1/2 years ago.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:31 PM
CF Veteran

i will be replacing mine with alcans over the winter
Alcans are great springs. My son uses them on the front of his 2nd generation Toyota and has nothing but good to say about them.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

I'd fully expect RE to warranty them after that short of time. If they would hesitate to take care of their customers right then that is just bad business.

Quick Reply: Spring and leaf pack quality vs $$$