Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

spitting, sputtering, knocking, and backfiring!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default spitting, sputtering, knocking, and backfiring!

Hey guys first time posting on here and I hope someone can help me out a little bit. I have a 1992 Cherokee Sport with a 4.0 and I thought I had a lifter tick so I changed all of the lifters last week. After changing them it still ticked. I was thinking it was the cam. I changed the water pump, radiator cap, thermostat, valve cover gasket, head gasket, intake gasket, spark plugs, and I flushed the radiator. My gauge said it was overheating, but I didn't believe it was since I could stick my finger in the radiator and I didn't scald my finger, it was not boiling over or anything yet it said it was about 240 degrees. After I looked closer the sending unit for the idiot light was cracked so i think that is why it was saying it was overheating. Then yesterday I decided to go to Haspin Acres to wheel for a while and on my way there the jeep was running rough. It felt like something was restricting 90% of my power and it was sputtering like crazy. Once I got there it ran alot better for 5 minutes and then it died. When I started it back up it was only running on about 3 or 4 cylinders and backfiring up through the intake and knocking like crazy!?!? I have no idea what is wrong with it. My distributor cap and rotor button are fine, plugs are brand new and perfectly gapped, plug wires are also fine. And I did notice that I have something sparking inside the jeep on the passenger side under the dash!?!? Any help would be great if you have any idea as to what is goin on. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2012, 05:31 PM

Find the short under your dash. Always fix the easy things first
Old 07-29-2012, 05:53 PM

I tried to find any exposed wires but was unsucessful. There is a plug there for something and I think it is where it came from but im not 100% on that
Old 07-29-2012, 08:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Check the fuel pressure.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:25 AM

Update!

I checked all of the sensors thay it could possibly be and they are fine. I began to wonder if everything got put back together correctly so i took the valve cover off and one push rod is bent all to hell so i hope i just missed the lifter when i put it back together and a new one will fix it. Would that cause all of my issues?