Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Speedometer stopped working, power windows/lock switch doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6
Default Speedometer stopped working, power windows/lock switch doesn't work

Uggggggghhhhhh, Alright well to begin with I have a '91 Jeep Cherokee Laredo none of the issues happened when I bought the Jeep nor when I started converting to non ABS, but during/after the conversion.

The last time I saw the speedo working was when I did a test lap around my apartment complex see if everything worked on it. Of course, the ABS pump s****** itself; the brake pedal was like stepping on cured cement, and ironically a Gold Jeep KJ had to back out of their parking spot while I'm driving on a down hill curve . I managed to stop though.

I've read online that sometimes the gauges stop working because screws on the back of the cluster comes undone. Most of them were, I tighten them all back up, now fuel gauge is tell me I'm full when I only have three gallons in it and still no speedo. I've checked the fuses (All New) and relys and all are good. It has a electric speedo, not sure what grounds to clean off or connectors to check.

Next will be my power locks and window switches. All of them work when I bought it, but they were a bit sticky. Cleaned them off and they worked fine. A few months down the line I found a set of wood trim for around the doors on two '95 Country's in nice condition. Had to saw off the top piece of the door panel off on all four, but everything placed in nicely excepted for the window switches in the rear and driver side window/lock switch.
Only on the passenger side do they work. The lock switch works great, able to lock/unlock all five of the doors. The window switch works fine rolling down, but I have to fight it when rolling up. Fuses are new and are good.

So yeah, I'm at a F****** lost lol. Any help would great, Thanks.

F*** almost forgot the Jeep also drain the new battery when it sits for two days.