Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Speedometer and odometer stop working

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Speedometer and odometer stop working

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee and recently my speedometer stop working and my odometer is illuminated but not adding additional miles to it. I did have a PO500 code come up, vehicle speed sensors, I did replace it it but nothing changed. Could it be the wiring connector, it looks ok. What about internal problems in the transmission, gear box? It does erratically rev up and when I take my foot off the brake my jeep really gets up and goes on it's own, ever so often. Does anybody have any thoughts about what could be the issue, Thanks
Old 05-30-2017, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 6 Cyl

Originally Posted by Conch98
I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee and recently my speedometer stop working and my odometer is illuminated but not adding additional miles to it. I did have a PO500 code come up, vehicle speed sensors, I did replace it it but nothing changed. Could it be the wiring connector, it looks ok. What about internal problems in the transmission, gear box? It does erratically rev up and when I take my foot off the brake my jeep really gets up and goes on it's own, ever so often. Does anybody have any thoughts about what could be the issue, Thanks
It is most likely your speedometer gear and/or the speedometer drive gear (that is on the output shaft) that are damaged/broken. In my case the drive gear was broken, and the speedo gear was shewed up as well.

There are several threads about it. Look at the thread titled: AW4 Speedo gear/pinion gear problem.. Need Help!

Marc
Old 05-31-2017, 03:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Conch98

Is this 2WD or 4WD?