Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Speedometer and Odometer

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: AMC 4.0L I-6 HO
Default Speedometer and Odometer

Hi Guys,

I bought a '91 XJ back in March and have had little problems with it. I'm super pleased. I've only had to do typical maintenance as it has just passed 200K miles. My girlfreind and I just bought her an '89 XJ and haven't been quite as fortunate. The speedometer and odometer are not working. What would be some causes as to why it is not working? I know the speedometer is tied into the transfer case, but I didn't want to start tinkering with anything until I checked with you guys. Would the speedometer not working also effect the odometer? All of the other guages work on my instrument panel.

Also, it had some old gas in the tank because it had been parked for quite a while. It stutters every now and then which I expected to happen until the old gas is burned out. But when I'm driving up hill or have to step on the gas a little harder, it acts like the gas is just not making it to the engine and seems like it wants to stall. I haven't replaced the filter yet but the fuel pump is new. If I replace the filter, will it fix this issue? It also has a new fuel rail and new injectors.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a cable that control both the speedo and the odo, so that could be broken. They are plentiful at your local JY, so it can be had for cheap. Have you added fuel to it, if not, try that. It might cut the crummy fuel enough to smooth it out. Best option is to drain the tank though. Either way, I would run a can of quality injector cleaner through it. You can check the pressure at the fuel rail if you are still having rough running problems. The fuel pump could be on it's way out. HTH!!
Old 11-05-2009, 11:45 PM

Cool. I'll check the cable. Where should I start and stop tracing? I'm guessing I start at the instrument cluster and stop at the transfer case. Is that right?

Also, I've put injector cleaner in and changed the fuel pump. How do I drain the tank? I've siphoned as much gas out as I can. Is there another way to drain the tank?

Thanks for your help. I noticed that there was 30 views before one post. That means that this must be a tricky scenario.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Definitely change the fuel filter. When a vehicles sits for any period of time, the gas tank wil build up a layer of scale and corrosion. Small particles of rust will come loose and clog up the filter reducing the flow of fuel to the injectors. It would be a good idea to go ahead and pick up an extra filter. If the first one solves the issues, then it to could become clogged untill all the corrosion in the tank is gone.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:16 AM

Will do. I'm changing the filter tomorow and I will pick up an extra. Is there any other way to drain the tank besides siphoning?
Old 11-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Other than dropping it, no. You didn't mention siphoning it, so I assumed the older fuel was still in the tank. If you have siphoned it, then you should be pretty good. I say the same for the fuel filter as Winston. In fact, that would be the next thing I'd do.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:18 AM

I'm gonna switch out the filter today after work. I'll let you guys know the results.

Thanks again
Old 12-11-2009, 05:08 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 renix

Did you ever figure out your speedometer problem?
I don't mean to hijack but I'm having similar problems.
Edit: Nevermind, fixed it.

Last edited by disheveledhair; 12-11-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:05 PM

Engine: 4.0 HO

yap, old thread, same old problem. How was it fixed? Mine comes and goes but its only the odo and speedo.