Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Speedometer gear problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Speedometer gear problem

Hey, i'm new & i'm sorry if this is the wrong thread to post in but I can't find this info anywhere and it's driving me crazy!
I have an 88 XJ Cherokee lerado 4.0.
I pulled the speedometer gear out of the transfer case to get enough slack to pull my instrument cluster. Then I realized I could just loosen the nut on the inside of the firewall, oh well hind sight... Anyway I finished what I needed to do and I popped off the speedo gear (because I just upgraded my tires) but decided I didn't want to leave the transfer case open so I tried to pop the gear back on and put it back together but the gear just keeps falling out! I found out there's a rubber grommet and a C ring that hold pressure on the gear so I reseated it to where it should be and that helped (it wouldn't just slide out on it's own) but as soon as it meets any tension at all it just slides right out. The gear is lined up with the cable and it lines up with the gear in the T case but it just won't stay put. Someone please help i've been searching for days and can't find anything.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:03 PM

Year: 1984
Engine: 4 cyl

can you post a pic of the gear and how you have it sitting when 'installed'?
Old 10-10-2014, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by CompleteCherokee
can you post a pic of the gear and how you have it sitting when 'installed'?
I think that was actually my problem. I was clocking the numbers towards the screw, not the clip. I finally got it to read at least a little bit. Then I replaced the lights in the dash & thought i'd be clever and disconnect the two part speedo cable under the dash from the speed sensor/ruise control sensor. I completely destroyed it with one turn $40 plus shipping. Word to the wise, if you don't have to, don't touch the thing. Nobody has this type of sensor anywhere, it took me an entire day to find it. Oh well, all is well now... I think. Thank you though.