Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Speakers Out/Clock Out

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 05:34 PM
nmf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Angry Speakers Out/Clock Out

Hey all,
1999 Jeep Cheorkee 2-dr, not sport, or SE or anything. Left speakers haven't been working for months, but now the right speakers are also out (I'm not 100% sure, but I don't see any rear speakers anywhere in the Jeep but I'll go with the plural "speakers".) The radio comes on as normal, but no sound at all.

I pulled the head unit out to test the wires with a multimeter. None of the speaker wires seemed to be a complete circuit at all, which based on my searches, makes me think the wires in the door got broken over time.

However, when I put the head unit back in now the clock doesn't even come on. The unit is still getting power because when I turn on the backlights the numbers on the buttons will glow, but the screen is dead now.

1) Is it possible I blew a fuse when I was testing wires? Before testing the speaker wires if I crossed +V and ground would that have blown the fuse?

2a) If so, which fuse is it? The fuse diagrams I've seen online show 5 as the amp and 30 for the radio, but my fuse box only goes up to 27.

2b) If not, what could cause the radio/clock to die and more importantly how do I fix it?

3) Back to the original issue, besides broken wires (and broken speakers) what could cause no sound (if the stereo was on) and how can I confirm that's the issue?

Thanks so much!
Old 10-28-2012, 05:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

1. is it the original head unit?

2. interior fuse box is on the passenger side foot well by the door. Check there for the actual fuse.

I have a plain jane se xj that has four speakers. When mine started to act funny it was due to the wiring in the doors. I doubt that your popped the fuse just by testing it. As for the clock i think that it's because the head unit is gone or it going bad. Hope this helps