Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sounds like loose Flexplate bolts, but they are tight

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6
Default Random engine noise... Thoughts???

For the past couple of weeks, I have noticed that there is an increasing amount of chatter coming from underneath. It sounds like it is coming from where the engine and tranny come together. So naturally, I assume it is loose flexplate to TC bolts, as I had read the write-up on tightening those, and it sounded very similar to the video that the poster had posted.
However, I had those bolts checked by a friend, and all four were as tight as can be, with the original lock-tite.
I am trying to think what else could cause this noise, it is starting to drive me insane. It sounds like its coming from the tranny side, but I guess it could be the oil pump banging on the pan, etc...
If anyone has some ideas as to what this might be that would be great. I would like to have some direction before I give a shop the go ahead to do a diagnostic and empty my wallet.
2000 XJ 126500 miles auto 231 TC

Last edited by Wonka1981; 09-12-2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Changed title
Old 09-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Cracked flex plate. I thought I still had pictures of mine but I dont. Mine was literally cracked all the way through all the way around from bolt hole to bolt hole.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:38 AM

Year: 95, 00
Engine: Both 4.0L

I wonder if it is the same issue I am having with the shifter linkage. Try moving the TC handle when it happens and see if that stops it.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lead Foot
Cracked flex plate. I thought I still had pictures of mine but I dont. Mine was literally cracked all the way through all the way around from bolt hole to bolt hole.
Flexplate was checked for cracks, no cracks found at all
Old 09-07-2012, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by xKHANx
I wonder if it is the same issue I am having with the shifter linkage. Try moving the TC handle when it happens and see if that stops it.
Good idea, but I have already fixed that with new linkage bushings, that is another annoying sound. Let me know if you need the part numbers, it wasnt too hard of a fix
Old 09-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Originally Posted by Wonka1981
Flexplate was checked for cracks, no cracks found at all
I dealt with trying to track this down for over a month. Not saying you arent good at looking but did you take the flywheel off and look at it? There is a really thin spacer that covers the section from bolt hole to bolt hole. I couldnt see the cracks either until I took that spacer and the flywheel off.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=xj+fl...9,r:3,s:0,i:84
Old 09-07-2012, 11:30 AM

Year: 1993

I had a similar sound on my 93 XJ. It turned out to be the rebuilt starter. The solenoid did not fully disengage after starting once and after that the bendix gear (on solenoid) would ever so slightly touch the flexplate causing the noise I heard. I eneded up changing the flexplate and then discovered that the real problem was with the starter.

Good luck
3JeepGuy.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by 3JeepGuy
I had a similar sound on my 93 XJ. It turned out to be the rebuilt starter. The solenoid did not fully disengage after starting once and after that the bendix gear (on solenoid) would ever so slightly touch the flexplate causing the noise I heard. I eneded up changing the flexplate and then discovered that the real problem was with the starter.

Good luck
3JeepGuy.
I have noticed that since I have been hearing this noise, that it takes more cranks to start my jeep. Could this info lead to the fact that it might be my starter going bad? If so, can you just change out the solenoid or bendix gear, or would I have to replace the starter?
Old 09-07-2012, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lead Foot
I dealt with trying to track this down for over a month. Not saying you arent good at looking but did you take the flywheel off and look at it? There is a really thin spacer that covers the section from bolt hole to bolt hole. I couldnt see the cracks either until I took that spacer and the flywheel off.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=xj+fl...9,r:3,s:0,i:84

I took it to an actually Transmission shop to have the bolts tightened. I do not believe that he took that spacer off, but he said he knew it wasnt cracked because he hit it with a wrench and it had equal vibration, whereas if it was cracked, it would sound like a dead thump when hitting the plate. I just took his word for it.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

We are talking about the bolts that secure the flexplate to the crankshaft aren't we?
The transmission has to be removed to inspect this. I'm not sure using a wrench as a tuning fork is going to do it.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
We are talking about the bolts that secure the flexplate to the crankshaft aren't we?
The transmission has to be removed to inspect this. I'm not sure using a wrench as a tuning fork is going to do it.
Lol. "Lead Foot likes this"
Old 09-08-2012, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
I was originally talking about the flexplate to TC bolts, which he said were tight, which he was able to check through the inspection plate.

If in fact there are cracks near the other set of bolts that you are talking about, I know that the tranny would have to be dropped, and the flexplate replaced.
Since I do not have a shop, or heavy tools, any idea how much that would cost to fix??
Old 09-08-2012, 03:11 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 88

I would go with the starter not disengaging all the way. Pull the starter and bench test it you'll know if it retracting back. Mine did this worked fine then idle you would sometimes hear it but usually only when driving.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Start by checking the starter. It is a possiblity as well and would be an easy fix. If you rule that out as the problem then it sounds like it would almost have to be a cracked flex plate.

I never take my rigs to shops so I have no idea. You would almost be better off throwing a little money to a friend that has the ability to pull the trans.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/fl...-noise-148219/

Quick Reply: Sounds like loose Flexplate bolts, but they are tight