Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Soooooo where does this go?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Soooooo where does this go?

Let me say first of all thank you, these forums have already helped me enormously fixing lots of problems with my 1994 jeep cherokee. Ive tried not to post for the longest but I am just stumped on where this hose goes.

I have a 1994 jeep cherokee se 2.5 4cyl.

I am going to start backwards because It sounds the easiest to describe.

From underneath the jeep, under the gas thank there are 2 black vacuum lines (I think) that go from left and the right side of the top of the tank (cant see where they go because I would have to remove the entire tank but they both go up and over the gas tank.

Following these 2 tubes (about 1 foot of tubing) they go to a T valve which is then ran to a metal tube that runs the entire length of the driver side vehicle with a group of 4 vertical lines that then run up into the engine bay they go to a small hub of metal tubing that goes about the engine bay (if you are following the 4 lines under the jeep it is the line closest to the floor all the way to the engine)

This line then bends to the left (facing the engine) and goes up along the firewall and goes from metal tubing to a rubber tubing (pictured with finger) then to the left side of the engine bay by the washer fluid res. to what i believe is either the heater valve or some place by the evaporation canister

If you look at the heater valve photo I attached I have placed this line onto that little nub you see right in the middle of the valve (circled).

I drove around and the car seemed normal. A little stutter when ac was on max and a quick press on the gas.

I started looking around some more to find out where this hose goes and as I removed it from the little nub on the heater valve, the hose made a hissing, it was sucking air in. I place my finger on the hose, it stopped obviously. Removing my finger started sucking again, this is with the engine off.

Am I plugging this hose into the correct spot? The hose is only long enough to plug into some place behind the engine or around the evap canister.

I am thinking it is some kind of fuel tank vent tubing or overflow tubes? Should I leave this tubing unplugged? The tube also smells of fuel.

I will add some more photos shortly of the tube from the engine bay.

Thanks gang.

Jonathan

**UPDATE**

I Unscrewed the gas cap to see if there was some pressure build up and yup, there was a bunch. And it sounded like it was sucking in. (could have been blowing out but I slowly unscrewed it and didnt feel anything coming out)
Attached Images     

Last edited by ars0n; 10-10-2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:20 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L H/O

im alittle confused. the tube that runs from the top of your gas tank is emissions crap. its to collect the fumes from your gas tank and put them through a charcoal canister. the charcoal absorbs the fumes so it doesnt pollute the atmosphere because gasoline fumes are very harmful (apparently) to the atmosphere.

the heater valve you pictured has a vacuum line going to it from the inside of the vehicle. the vacuum is changed by the temperature slider. the slider changes the amout of vacuum that goes to the heater valve, opening and closing it varying amount of coolant flow into the heater core. the heater core should have that vacuum line going to the cylinder that has a fitting with a hole on the end.

the reason you heard the hissing is also because there is a vacuum canister behind the bumper that holds a temporary vacuum after the car has been shut off. thats to allow things to operate when the vacuum has been temporarily lost due to something like a sudden stab on the gas pedal.

(anybody feel free to correct me if im wrong)
Old 10-10-2010, 12:23 AM

I just stuck it on the heater valve because it was the closest thing that fit the line. The nub is just a nub, it doesnt actually have a hole or anything so its basically just acting as a plug.

And its also two tubes that come from the top of the gas tank to T valve which then transforms the 2 lines to a single metal line that runs all the way down the drivers side up into the engine..

I added some photos to help with the confusion...

Thanks for the quick reply!

These are looking up under the car from behind the left front wheel under the driverseat along the frame..
Attached Images   

Last edited by ars0n; 10-10-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:35 AM

that lines just a vacuum line. there should be something that looks like a coffee pot. that vacuum line should connect to that. thats the charcoal canister. then i believe another line on the canister connects to engine vacuum.

also, does your heater valve have a vacuum line going to it? other then the one on the nub? it should.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:54 AM

the round thing on the back of the heater valve(picture) on top of that is a vacuum line.

The big coffee pot that you speak of has 4 possible valves the top 2 are already used and the bottom is plugged and twice as big as the tube I am trying to find a home.

There is also another valve on top of the canister to the right away from the valves in the middle. But it is also plugged..

In the middle of the canister are 3 valves the bottom is plugged and the top two are already connected to other places..

Last edited by ars0n; 10-10-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:55 AM

I am thinking it has to be an over flow tube? But it somehow deals with pressure in the gas tank. Maybe it doesnt plug into anything? My motorcycle has a couple over flow tubes..rad, gas, etc..

But its annoying having a tube going nowhere.. the diagram in the engine bay (driverside on firewall) even shows it plugs into a 3rd connection on the evap canister. but all valves on the canister are used, there is one towards the right side of the canister that has been plugged and one fat *** valve under the other 2 valves in the middle but it is also plugged...

Could it be the prev owner left it unplugged and plugged the valve on the canister? I just got it smog'd with no problem too. Dunno if that has anything to do with it. Or why havent I experienced any issues with this tube being unplugged?

The reason I am flippin is my heater valve busted and had to replace today. While plugging everything back in I found this tube..

everything else works fine, ac, heater, etc...

Last edited by ars0n; 10-10-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:48 AM

Anyone have a jeep cherokee 1994 se 2.5 , 4 cyl? that can trace this tube? Please? -=]
Old 10-10-2010, 02:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L I6

just a note to the "portion" of the situation, from what I know:
that "nub" that circled isn't a fitting, it's just a "place" where the valve's lever shaft is sitting inside
The fitting for the vac line for the heater control valve is located as shown on the attached picture:
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2010, 02:49 AM

un, nevermind, just read the rest of the thread ...LOL
Old 10-10-2010, 03:50 AM

I think XJ 4 life is correct, this is the only other photo i could find where the evap canister and heater valve are the same.

I have it circled is the tube i believe to be issue.

On my evap can. That valve is plugged.

Is this going to effect anything leaving it unplugged?Just let it be?
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2010, 12:30 PM

you said their was a hose running under that? are you sure all of those lines lead somewhere?
Old 10-10-2010, 01:58 PM

A line under what? This is the only tube I have that is disconnected. Every other tube I have in my engine bay is connected. Everything in this car is functioning perfectly. It has to do with the gas tank and can not figure out what it connects to in the engine comparment. If you look at the photo, its the last line on the on that goes along the back of the firewall from the right side of the engine to the left. Connecting to something by the evap canister or around.

This line runs form the left side of the engine (pictured) with a rubber hose that goes along the fire wall to the right side of the engine bay, which then transforms from rubber hose to metal tube, down, underneath the driverside area all the way to the gas thank which is then connected to a T split into 2 lines and those 2 lines goes to the top of the gas tank.

91-96 jeep cherokees fuel injected were all the same i thought..

I believe you are correct that this line plugs into the evap can.

My question is if this is the correct valve, why would my evap canister have a plug on that valve? Previous work? Is this hose needed to be plugged into the evap can? What is its point? You say to help with emissions and filter out fuel vapors...Will I see any fuel mileage decrease by not having this plugged in etc? IS it a crucial part of the jeeps emission system?

Is anyone avail to pop open their hood and look? I think most FI jeeps cherokees 2.5 4cyl from 91-96 are the same?

Last edited by ars0n; 10-10-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:08 PM

the picture you've reposted from other thread in post#10 is of '96 6cyl.

To avoid any "terminology" confusion , instead of describing anything here I've made this diagram (see attached) , that's what I have there.
Again, it's 96 model / 6cyl .
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2010, 07:35 PM

That is exactly what im thinking it is. I think at some time the previous owner had plugged the evap canister at the valve the blue line runs to and then just left the hose hanging...

I am going to see if I can remove the plug. Its an odd plug too, it actually sits inside the valve and not over it like most ive seen.. I guess I will see what happens..

Thanks for all the help guys! I will post up my findings..
Old 10-18-2010, 06:48 PM

Hey gang just wanted to update. Who ever plugged the evap can did in such a way that I cant unplug it. So, I am going to just let it be. At least I know what it goes to and havent had any issues with the jeep for the past 2 weeks.

Thanks again gang!

Quick Reply: Soooooo where does this go?