Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Some lift questions. She needs to remain streetable.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Default Some lift questions. She needs to remain streetable.

I've been reading the board for a while now and have done searches, but my search abilities are not good.

I just bought my fourth cherokee and had plans to lift it big and buy a cheap rice burner to commute to work (almost two hours a day). Long story short, I got real lucky and found a cherokee in immaculate condition. It has low miles and everything is either new, or in pristine condition. It was at the dealer every 3000 miles and had one female owner. Anyway, I decided it's too nice to destroy in the woods. I'm going to use this new one as a daily driver and buy another cherokee to lift for the trails. However, it does need to be beefed up at least a little bit.

Keep in mind that I'm looking to keep the factory ride, or close to it.

This is kind of a two part question... First off, the lift. After searching around quite a bit, it seems like the 2" Old Man Emu with full leaf packs is a good way to go. I do NOT want any spacers or add-a-anything... Is OME the way to go? Is there a better kit I'm not aware of? Are there other lifts that don't have a bone jarring ride?

The second is the tires. Most importantly, what can I fit under a 2" lift? Will 31"s fit with NO rubbing at all? And while on the subject of tires, are the Super Swamper radial SSRs good on the road? Okay in rain? Not too noisy?

Gentleman, thanks for any input. Here's a pic of it as it stands right now. All I've done so far is the stereo system and sand blasted and painted a set of wheels I had. Sorry for the grainy phone pic.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:29 AM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away
Engine: 4.0

Ome or bds are good lifts and for street tires I would go with bfg all terrians good for all weather and mild dirt, very nice xj , I would just run 30 inch tires less hassle and no worries about rubbing at all .

Last edited by rich; 07-25-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

i would go with the ome lift, just because i have an ome 2.5" on the wife's liberty and it rides nicer then stock.

i agree on the bfg all terrains. i had them on a trooper2 and never had an issue with anything
Old 07-25-2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by rich
Ome or bds are good lifts and for street tires I would go with bfg all terrians good for all weather and mild dirt, very nice xj , I would just run 30 inch tires less hassle and no worries about rubbing at all .

bds?
Old 07-25-2010, 09:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: I6ho

OME for sure.
I've been running OME for almost 10 years now.
From what I have read (4x4 magazine), BDS rides a little rough.

If it's going to be a daily driver why not just throw some quality all terrains on it in the 30x9.5 size. You know they will fit the newer body style, and they will be better on gas (daily driver) than a 10.5" tire, and will keep the gearing closer to stock... again, in the intrest of mpg.

BTW, nice rig... I love silver.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:59 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

Go with OME,I am running the 2" light duty kit and love it,gives a nice on road ride,super plush off road.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:33 PM

go with a 3" lift from rustys or if you want to spend a little extra cash you can get the rough country series 2 kit with the performance 2.2 shocks and full leaf packs and have a GREAT riding kit that will last a good while!! and then get some 31" tires...thats what i just ordered!
Old 07-25-2010, 12:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

i have the rough country series 2 lift and its rough. not stock at all. i like it but it is totally not as smooth as stock and the wife has commented on it
Old 07-25-2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mike H.

If it's going to be a daily driver why not just throw some quality all terrains on it in the 30x9.5 size. You know they will fit the newer body style, and they will be better on gas (daily driver) than a 10.5" tire, and will keep the gearing closer to stock... again, in the intrest of mpg.

BTW, nice rig... I love silver.

Well it will be off road at times, it just won't be off roading, if that makes sense. I'll be pulling a double quad trailer into the woods, heading to the mountains when it snows, etc. It needs a more aggressive stance Also, I need to do shocks and some bushings anyway. May as well pop in springs while I'm under it.

I'll probably back up the lift with rear airbags for towing.

So 31's will fit under a 2" lift then?

Last edited by jigly; 07-25-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by BigC9164
go with a 3" lift from rustys or if you want to spend a little extra cash you can get the rough country series 2 kit with the performance 2.2 shocks and full leaf packs and have a GREAT riding kit that will last a good while!! and then get some 31" tires...thats what i just ordered!

I've been in jeeps with rough country lifts. No offense, but they suck on the road.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:55 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

Rubicon Express 3.5" super ride or super flex. It fits 31" tires with very little rubbing. Invest in adjustable track bar. For Tires I would go with Good year wrangler Duratrac. I have the RE superflex and it rides pretty nice and looks close to stock... my two cents. I have pic's in my album of mine so you can see.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Cadillac makes cars that ride very well. If you want a good riding vehicle why buy a jeep? I have never been in one that rode good myself, even stock.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:57 PM

its a jeep. its not supposed to be a cadilac. but when you lift a jeep it is not going to ride well at all unless you just put spacers in there and get ome shocks. bc no other shocks really give you an on road feel. they are mostly meant for off road.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by andersonj05
Cadillac makes cars that ride very well. If you want a good riding vehicle why buy a jeep? I have never been in one that rode good myself, even stock.

Maybe you've never had one that wasn't a piece of ****
Old 07-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Seasoned Member

I had a 2008 Grand Chero i bought brand new and it felt like i was riding in a four horse wagon. I am just saying don't expect these things to ride good. No reason for you to go off and get a attitude. Cyber bullying never gets you anywhere.

Quick Reply: Some lift questions. She needs to remain streetable.