Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

so guys, i need your helping getting my xj running [video]

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default so guys, i need your helping getting my xj running [video]

so she went swimming a week ago and she wasnt firing at all. got her home, drained the water out of the ecu, and dried it out, and replaced the distributor, and the crank sensor is still good. obviously the problem could still be the ecu, but is there anything else you guys can think of that it could be?

Here's what happens when i try to start it
Old 02-27-2012, 03:42 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Just listening to your video - It seems like a fuel delivery issue. Start with the simple things. Good gas in the tank? Fuel filter good? Check the fuel pressure at the rail next. If you're getting good clean fuel to the rail, pull the spark plugs and check for signs of fuel getting into all the cylinders. If you can get your hands on a noid light, plug it in and make sure the injectors are firing after their initial startup pulse. Did you replace the cam sensor with the distributor? Good luck
Old 02-27-2012, 04:20 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by cdhebert
Just listening to your video - It seems like a fuel delivery issue. Start with the simple things. Good gas in the tank? Fuel filter good? Check the fuel pressure at the rail next. If you're getting good clean fuel to the rail, pull the spark plugs and check for signs of fuel getting into all the cylinders. If you can get your hands on a noid light, plug it in and make sure the injectors are firing after their initial startup pulse. Did you replace the cam sensor with the distributor? Good luck
X2 my initial thought was water in the gas.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I would guess fule as well. Sounds like it fires just fine.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:47 PM

gas is very likely. i pulled the fuel filter off, drained it and blew it out since i dont have money to buy a new one right now, and i took the video afterwards. there wasnt any water in the filter though.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: Renix 4.0

Get some seafoam or isopropyl in the tank and drain the lines. If I suspected water in the gas this would be my first move if it was this bad.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

ballast resistor shorted out maybe try by passing it see if it run?
Old 02-27-2012, 07:28 PM

Engine: 4.0L 242cyl

there could've been water in the fuel lines. Have you tried canceling fuel delivery and trying to start it w/starting fluid. Like cdhebert says, you need good, clean fuel for a good spark to start the engine. And I also agree with gpeade, it does sound like it fires ok. In fact, it sounds like it almost catches a couple of times, burning off what little good fuel the cylinders get, but there's not enough to keep them firing. Canceling the fuel delivery and getting it to start with starter fluid, you'll know there's nothing else wrong with it. One thing that's worked for me on many of my vehicles is I soak the air filter with gasoline and try firing it up with starter fluid. The starter fluid starts the engine and the throttle body draws the gas vapors through the filter and keeps it running for a few seconds, enough to discard that it might have any spark issues.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by bigtony
there could've been water in the fuel lines. Have you tried canceling fuel delivery and trying to start it w/starting fluid. Like cdhebert says, you need good, clean fuel for a good spark to start the engine. And I also agree with gpeade, it does sound like it fires ok. In fact, it sounds like it almost catches a couple of times, burning off what little good fuel the cylinders get, but there's not enough to keep them firing. Canceling the fuel delivery and getting it to start with starter fluid, you'll know there's nothing else wrong with it. One thing that's worked for me on many of my vehicles is I soak the air filter with gasoline and try firing it up with starter fluid. The starter fluid starts the engine and the throttle body draws the gas vapors through the filter and keeps it running for a few seconds, enough to discard that it might have any spark issues.
the reason it sounds like its catching is because im holding it in the crank position. and i plan on getting new gas when i get paid later this week and going from there. and it does run off of starting fluid