Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

So does candle wax work on removing bolts and nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 10:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default So does candle wax work on removing bolts and nuts?

As the question states, Does candle wax work? Im looking into removing my bumpers and notice the bolts and nuts are very rusted. I was planning on soaking in penetrating oil for a week or two but figured id ask about this. Lady finally did my bumpers in good at the parking lot, Mistook the brake for the gas and rammed her cadillac into the back of my jeep and in turn made my jeep ram into the light pole base thus mangling up my bumpers *sighs* she will pay for them atleast but covered my a** just incase. No unibody damage nothing bent only the bumper. Mounts seem to be intact. You would think parking in the back of the parking lot would prevent this but obviously not.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by EEVEE
As the question states, Does candle wax work? Im looking into removing my bumpers and notice the bolts and nuts are very rusted. I was planning on soaking in penetrating oil for a week or two but figured id ask about this. Lady finally did my bumpers in good at the parking lot, Mistook the brake for the gas and rammed her cadillac into the back of my jeep and in turn made my jeep ram into the light pole base thus mangling up my bumpers *sighs* she will pay for them atleast but covered my a** just incase. No unibody damage nothing bent only the bumper. Mounts seem to be intact. You would think parking in the back of the parking lot would prevent this but obviously not.
Just use an actually good penetrating oil... Not WD40 or any of that "home brew crap".

Look up Project Farm on Youtube as he did a video on this exact thing and found the Seafoam Deep Creep was one of the better products.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

A 50/50 mix of acetone and atf works better than any penetrating oil.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I-6

Kryloil or even better, make your own ! 50/50 transmission fluid and acetone ! The latter is the best, plus cheaper in the long run ! Don't know anything of candle wax ? When I shot archery, I put it on the threads of my field points, to keep them from coming loose and rattling,,,
Old 09-07-2018, 03:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I had to remove my back bumper to put in some new nut strips and hang a gas tank skid. Had to remove my front bumper to put on some factory tow hooks. I was going to soak both for about a day and tackle them the next day. Figured I would squirt them every 1/2 hour and give the ones I could get at a love tap or two with a hammer. Anyway squirted and tapped them once. Squirted and tapped a second time. Was bored so decided to put a ratchet to the front bumper. The first one turned no problem. Then the second. Well all I know is that 30 minutes later the front bumper is off and on the ground. My buddy was hanging out with me. When I got it off I noticed him looking up at the sky. I ask what he is looking at? He goes I am looking for the meteor that is going to come down and kill us because that was way to easy. LOL. Just used PB Blaster to.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Even if candle wax worked better than other choices (which it doesn't) I wouldn't do it, because messing around with melting wax and trying to get that wax in the right spot (especially it is above you) while trying to get vehicle work done would be a major pain.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:29 PM

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee

Yeah, just soak them. Do you have access to an acetylene torch? Just a quick heat-up even on one side is usually enough to break the rust bond and they may come off better. Otherwise keep soaking should help a lot. Once they break loose, I usually squirt real motor oil on them b/c penetrating fluid doesn't make them come off 'smoother' once they break free. Regular oil does.

There's tests done on Youtube videos and in the end, most penetrating oils are about the same. ATF/Acetone and brake fluid worked about as well. WD 40 wasn't as good as some. I've had great luck with Kroil too!! But it's overpriced for what it is.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:38 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990

CRC Freeze-Off works well.