Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

smoke when sharp turning - power steering fluid loss

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999 Sport Road Rash Monstaliner
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
Default smoke when sharp turning - power steering fluid loss

So... I've narrowed down my phantom smoking. Seems I'm leaking power steering fluid but only when I turn sharply. I'm guessing the fluid is dripping onto something hot like the downpipe. Hard to test when I have to be moving and turning. The reservoir hasn't really dropped much having let the Jeep sit in my driveway for a few days on end. What do I need to replace!
Old 08-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

I had the exact same problem. The high pressure line is leaking and spraying it out on your downpipe when you turn all the way, most likely from the stamped fitting where the steel line meets the rubber hose. Those lines wear out and like to leak right there. You can't fix the fitting. You just buy the new hose. Shouldn't cost you more than $15 at the high end.

Replacing that line is an easy 30 minute job (or less). It helps to have flare nut wrenches rather than regular open crescent wrenches to make sure you don't round off the fittings. Once you get it on there and refill the reservoir, be sure to turn the wheel lock to lock several times to burp it, then check the level and add fluid if necessary.

I had been living with mine for a while but decided it was time to fix it when I pulled up to parallel park next to a cafe here in New Orleans and cleared out the entire outdoor seating area with my smoke. I mean, those people jumped up and ran. It would have been funny if it didn't make me a tool, so I decided right then I needed to replace it.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:20 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

You have Noggin Pokin in your future Do you know where the leak is coming from? Have you jacked up the jeep and have someone turn the wheels to full lock and hold it? while you look.
Heck you don't really need to jack the jeep up to do this. Do a little noggin pokin to locate the leak, then you can have an Idea of whats going on,and know what work needs to be done.
Cause right now for all we know is that your neighbor is sneaking over at night and stealing a little fluid from the reservoir, and spilling it all over the place causing it to smoke.
But if you're hell bent on replacing the power steering pump/ reservoir here is a vid from bleepinjeep Good luck.

Last edited by Dumajones; 08-23-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dumajones
Have you jacked up the jeep and have someone turn the wheels to full lock and hold it? while you look.
If the leak is where I think it is, you don't have to jack up the Jeep and look from underneath. You can see it from the top by looking down right behind the PS pump. The problem with a spraying leak is that it goes everywhere, so you can't pinpoint its origin unless you have someone turn the wheel to lock while you look.

The leak will either be at one of the fittings at the ends of the high pressure hose, or it will be at that stamped fitting in the middle where the rubber line meets the steel line. I would almost be willing to bet money the rubber is separating from the crimped steel and leaking at that fitting in the middle of the line.

I seriously doubt you need a new pump. I'm betting on that line.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:01 PM

awesome replies!

Actually, I did do some head pokin' while having the xj started and someone turning the wheel back and forth. I didn't exactly pinpoint the leak but I have a pretty good idea now. Check out the pic.

Looks like that hose is leaking. Not sure where, but underneath it somewhere. Is that the high pressure hose that needs replaced often?
Attached Thumbnails smoke when sharp turning - power steering fluid loss-powersteering.jpg  
Old 08-23-2014, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by terzdesign
Looks like that hose is leaking. Not sure where, but underneath it somewhere. Is that the high pressure hose that needs replaced often?
Yep. See that joint in the hose just to the right of the lower circle you drew in, where the rubber meets the steel line? I'd lay odds it's coming from right there. That's where mine was leaking. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a replacement locally.

It's a 15 year old truck. Mine lasted almost as long. They don't hold out forever.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:13 PM

well, I replaced the hose. Actually, I had to cut the old one off because the threads were just bending the tube, they were that bad I guess. Took me about 2 hours total. No more smoke from just turning the wheel in place from stop to stop. YAY! I can't tell if its rust from the old threadings or if the fluid is really as dark brown as the seepage would suggest.

Should the pump be making a low hum when its at its turn limit?
Old 08-25-2014, 10:53 PM
Banned

Congrats. Glad that worked.

Originally Posted by terzdesign
Should the pump be making a low hum when its at its turn limit?
I'm not sure if it should, but mine does. I don't know if it's noisy because it's supposed to be, or because I ran it low on fluid a few times when I had the leak. As long as it keeps working, I'm not really worrying about it.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L L6

If you crank all the way over til it stops pretty much every vehicle makes a whine/hum. Its better not to go that far though.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:48 PM

took it out for a drive and the steering sucks at low speeds! Power steering seems to work fine at anything above 15 mph. Any suggestions? If anything the reservoir is over filled not under.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 renix

Try burping the power steering system. Do this by removing the cap and with the engine running, turn the wheel back and fourth several times to full lock in both directions.

And ya, I'll be replacing the same hoses soon. I hate those "compression" or whatever fittings. They suck. I cut my trans cooler lines the other week and just did hose clamps to a new aux trans cooler (same type of hose fittings I'm pretty sure.)
Old 08-26-2014, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Stabsthedrama
Try burping the power steering system. Do this by removing the cap and with the engine running, turn the wheel back and fourth several times to full lock in both directions.

And ya, I'll be replacing the same hoses soon. I hate those "compression" or whatever fittings. They suck. I cut my trans cooler lines the other week and just did hose clamps to a new aux trans cooler (same type of hose fittings I'm pretty sure.)
Yea, tried burping it a couple three times now and still get the same results. Do I have to drain and refill the system?
Old 08-26-2014, 03:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 renix

Haven't had all that much experience with any power steering problems....yet... but I would say if it isn't hard to drain and refill it, I'd go for it. Seems like a sure way to get out any air, etc.

I don't see how anything else could have caused it, I mean you verified the leak and fixed it...
Old 09-04-2014, 08:56 AM

update:

I've been driving the jeep anyways even with moderate power steering. It's been tough turning from a complete stop like at stop signs and lights. Then all of a sudden it just worked itself out! Now everything seems like it is back to normal. I guess a couple of days worth of driving kicked it back into gear!
Old 11-10-2014, 11:01 AM

Default Same problem - dangerous?

Hi - I just bought a 2000 XJ a couple weeks ago (first car ever...). Just took it out for the first time this weekend and noticed this same problem when turning in a tight spot or parallel parking. It makes a noise, smokes + puts off a bad smell. Unfortunately I don't have the option to not turn the wheel as far as it can go when I have to park in a city The guy I bought it from said there's a known PS leak and he said he was topping off the reservoir regularly. He said it would probably need fixing at some point but the last time he took it in, it wasn't dire. I asked him about the smoke after this happened and he said he hadn't had that happen / noticed that before. My question is - is this dangerous and should I have it taken care of ASAP? I did read somewhere that the PS fluid can catch fire.

Quick Reply: smoke when sharp turning - power steering fluid loss