Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Small leak by driver's feet

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Default Small leak by driver's feet

I'm trying to find threads on here about water leaks by driver's front feet but not having any luck.

I'm putting truck back together, but before I do, want to make sure she's water tight.

After heavy down pour I had a small puddle by driver's feet. Seems like it was coming from the electrical plug (bout 3"x3") right above the driver's feet. I sprayed water in the windshield wiper well and it wasn't coming from there. So I caulked the electrical connector box which came through the fire wall and then hit the surrounding area with rubber sealer and it seemed to do the trick on the next heavy rain. Then the next heavy rain I got a very tiny bit of water lloking like it's coming from the same place.

Any ideas? Any particular spots by the driver's front firewall that water seems to get through on these models? It's a 94 Sport.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2013, 05:34 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

I had the same issue with water at my feet. I have a feeling it's coming from my windshield because it's not sealed properly
Old 10-07-2013, 05:40 PM

Year: 1994

I'm going to try and investigate this more tomorrow and see if I can seal it completely, but if I can't, how concerned should I be? It's about 5 - 10 cc of water, not a real lot. Do I say the heck with it and it will just dry itself out, or will it give me a problem down the road? If it was alot more, I wouldn't even be asking this.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Water always leaves a mineral trail, should be pretty easy to figure it out, just keep looking "uphill". Although that's not to say you don't have to provide yourself some access. Plus, you can always fill the interior with your favorite cigar smoke and be on the lookout for leaks.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

I was given a cherokee with water issues on the driver's side and every single fuse in the fuse box was corroded beyond repair. I ended up replacing the fuse box by soldering about 80 wires which was not very fun at all. Everything worked after that but why ask for trouble? Best to fix the leak sooner than later is my opinion.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:10 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

I still get like an inch of water in mine so what I did was I just bedlined the whole front half to prevent rust. I drilled a hole in the floor for drainage. Using golf course putting green as my carpets currently.