Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sloppy Steering - steering box adustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question Sloppy Steering - steering box adustment

Hi all

I am a Dub Jayer and have my 2000 GC (3" IRO, 31" Maxxis Muds) sitting next to my new addition...XJ 2000 which is Chilli Pepper red with Camel leather - love it and now the mods begin.

But first - I have a few things I need to sort and one is the sloppy steering the XJ has.

The issue is, when you make a turn you have to turn the wheel alot and then when your trying to straighten out it still wants to turn. Had it aligned and checked track bars, tir rods etc - no play anywhere.

I have found write ups on how to do this, but am I tightening or loosing? And the nut on the box - which way is which?

XJ is stock, no mods. It looks as if the previous had installed new front shocks, rear ones are still Chrysler.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd start by finding out exactly where the slop is. Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you watch/feel each part in the steering. Shaft, steering box, work your way down. It may or may not be the box, adjusting that nut if the box isn't the problem will likely ruin it.

If you DO need to adjust it, loosen the locknut while holding the center screw in place. Turn the center screw 1/8 turn clockwise then while holding the center screw in place, tighten the locknut again.
Go for a drive. Repeat if necessary.
If at any point the steering feels like it binds on-center, or fails to return to center after a turn you've tightened too much- back the screw off counterclockwise.

Note: this is NOT the correct way to adjust the box even though it's commonly used. Keep in mind that overtightening can ruin the box quickly. Use your best judgment.
The correct way is to put the box in a vice and adjust for a specific increase in torque while turning the input shaft through center postion. Need an inch-lb torque wrench.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Banned

After diagnosing free play in steering box:
Clean adjusting rod (bolt?), nut and area around them by brake cleaner and brush
Mark position of rod and nut.
Turn nut 2 turns out (5/8" wrench), hold rod.
Hold nut, turn rod in, then back off 1 turn.
Check free play. Drive slowly, making turns.
If adjustment is too tight:
steering wheel can bind in sharp turns.
steering wheel can turn with more effort.
If it is too tight turn rod out half turn.
Good luck!
That is how I do it. Be careful.
Disclamer: for information only, do not adjust yourself, go to a dealer (who will offer replacement)

Last edited by Rockville; 11-01-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
Hold nut, turn rod in, then back off 1 turn.
That is a lot of preload increase on the worm gear all at once. You may well get exactly one turn out of the steering wheel and cause a shower of PS fluid under the hood when the gear cover cracks. Seen it happen more than once.
Increase the preload in very small increments and monitor steering changes carefully. A full turn at once is far too much.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:11 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Radi
That is a lot of preload increase on the worm gear all at once. You may well get exactly one turn out of the steering wheel and cause a shower of PS fluid under the hood when the gear cover cracks. Seen it happen more than once.
Increase the preload in very small increments and monitor steering changes carefully. A full turn at once is far too much.
I'm with you on this. 1/8 turn at a time.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Banned

It is safer, what they said.