Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Slip Yoke Question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Slip Yoke Question?

Anybody out there know how the slip yoke naturally rests on the NP231 Transfer case? More precisely, where should the slip yoke sit on the splines? Forward or Aft? Middle or at the end?????

I need to lengthen my drive shaft and am confused on where to measure to, to get the maximum shaft slide, so the shaft doesn't bump the T-Case nor does it get too close to the end to cause wobble or even pop off the transfer case output shaft, when I go over some rugged terrain quickly.(Full Suspension Compression VS. Full Expansion

I recently put a O.M.E 2.5 inch lift on in the rear. My angles are fine, but the drive shaft is now too short. I've taken a bunch of measurements but don't know where to position the new DS after having it cut to be lengthened.

The other day when I flew over some Railroad tracks at about 50 kph, it felt like the drive shaft just about popped off the T-Case output shaft. Massive vibration/shaking occurred but stopped after I clutched in and stopped the vehicle. Scared the crap out of me!!!

Any thought's out there? I don't want to get involved with an SYE. I want to keep it simple.

I would like to get this issue squared away ASAP before the snow starts to fly!!!!

Thanks guy's.