Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

slave cylinder question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default slave cylinder question...

hey all... i've got a 93 cherokee sport with an internal slave cylinder... the reservoir ran ALMOST dry and needs to (at least) be bled. after i filled it, pumped the peddle it's still not much better. see no signs of fluid loss, therefore thinking it picked up some air and just needs to be bled?

i'm certainly no mechanic but can do simple repairs and would like to attempt to try to bleed it myself (with a helper, if need be). i was told although it's an internal slave there IS a way to bleed the system w/o opening the housing.

was also told there is a nipple on the outside of the casing and it looks a little different than a brake bleeder but same concept... is this correct and could you please walk me through the process? any tricks and pics may be huge help as well.

thanks for reading this post and look forward to hearing from the EXPERTS! hope all is well and yall have a good one... peace!
Old 06-23-2013, 09:04 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Look for a leak INSIDE the cab near the clutch pedal. In the meantime, fill the master cylinder and pump the pedal about 40 times. Wait 10 minutes and do that again.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Look for a leak INSIDE the cab near the clutch pedal. In the meantime, fill the master cylinder and pump the pedal about 40 times. Wait 10 minutes and do that again.
hey cruiser... gonna sound like a stupid question BUT do i do that w/o having to open and close the bleeder valve... or is your suggestion to help locate a leak?
Old 06-23-2013, 02:21 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by bruno_rs
hey cruiser... gonna sound like a stupid question BUT do i do that w/o having to open and close the bleeder valve... or is your suggestion to help locate a leak?
Not a stupid question. I wasn't clear. Do nothing but fill the master and then pump the pedal as described. See what happens. Then look for the leak under the dash or out of the bell housing.