Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Simple stuff to fix, now more problems.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Simple stuff to fix, now more problems.

So last month I got a 97 Cherokee ran fine and have been trying to preform some basic maintenance every paycheck air filer 2 oil changes trans fluid change etc.

So Yesterday I started to do Spark Plugs Wires Cap and rotor since i was showing a 301 code and i wanted to do that stuff anyway. I go to replace the cap i snapped both screws we tried to remove them but couldnt so got a new distributor today, installed it no problem hooked it all up still misfiring cylinder one and running rougher, checked the spark it was all set did a compression test showed 145. so we decided the injector must be clogged or not working, got the new injector and replaced all the o-rings on the old ones cleaned the fuel rail best we could, and started her up.

Still Running very rough with loud noises coming from under hood like clanky gunfire type shots, i gave it some gas in my driveway and it stalled out around 3k-3500 right then made a loud noise and quit fired it up moved it back to my garage and now it sits.

Any Ideas on what it could be Sorry for the slightly long post just wanted to try and explain best i could