Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Should I get a new track bar? Or just bushing? (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 07:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6
Default Should I get a new track bar? Or just bushing? (pics)

The track bar nut can't be tightened anymore. The track bar still moves up and down when I turn the tires. So I must need a new bushing, right?

I have the clunking sound whenever I turn left..

Im talking about the track bar, not the drag link if thats what you think I'm thinking.

I know that the bushing definately has to be replaced. What are the parts that connect the track bar to the axle? Everything looks fine on that side.
How much can I get the replacement parts for?
just a suspension that has 11 years of dirt on it. =]

Last edited by MonacaYankee; 05-14-2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: cant fix size of pics sorry
Old 05-14-2010, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Wink

Originally Posted by MonacaYankee

The track bar is tight as it can be turned by hand. I have the clunking sound whenever I turn left.. Im talking about the track bar, not the drag link if thats what you think I'm thinking.
I know that the bushing definately has to be replaced. What is the thing that the track bar connects to on the passenger side? It looks fine.
How much can I get the replacement parts for?
just a suspension that has 11 years of dirt on it. =]
I'm trying to follow you but you lost me...on the trackbar is tight it can be turned by hand? The thing the trackbar connects to on the passenger side is the axle. The other picture is where your sway bar connects to the sway bar link.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:08 PM
CF Veteran

Sorry, I revised it. I think and type too fast sometimes... edit that stuff out of your post plz lol
Old 05-14-2010, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

The Bushing is at the axle mount, that is at TRE at frame mount. It is NOT replaceable on a stock arm.. So If the axle end is OK, you need a new bar...
Old 05-14-2010, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L 4wd

Looks fine as ****,. if you need new bushings or mts, thats idferent dut that look better that ther track bar i broke of my 87 just dirt roading it

if its broke that easy get your guy to spot weld it and its fellow. after the weld i had no busts from my trac bar.

BUT: that looks like a bad steering dampener, or whatever tey call it, like 20 bucks at a good pats store and does wonders
Old 05-14-2010, 10:54 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 93gc40
The Bushing is at the axle mount, that is at TRE at frame mount. It is NOT replaceable on a stock arm.. So If the axle end is OK, you need a new bar...
School me, what does TRE stand for?

Are you saying the bushing is not replaceable? My buddy says you have to press it.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by New2Jeeps42
Looks fine as ****,. if you need new bushings or mts, thats idferent dut that look better that ther track bar i broke of my 87 just dirt roading it

if its broke that easy get your guy to spot weld it and its fellow. after the weld i had no busts from my trac bar.

BUT: that looks like a bad steering dampener, or whatever tey call it, like 20 bucks at a good pats store and does wonders
It is bad. I don't think it has been replaced in 6 years. :/

Nothing is broke or needs welded but basically everything in the suspension but the shocks and greasing has not been done since it came from the factory.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by MonacaYankee
School me, what does TRE stand for?

Are you saying the bushing is not replaceable? My buddy says you have to press it.
Rubber Bushing at the axle end is replaceable. The Tie Rod End (TRE) at the Frame end is not. If you can get the TRE out without mangleing it, you could replace the boot on it, but the the TRE is part of the bar. Stock Trackbars cost about $50.. If you are lifted or planning to lift, I would look into an Adjustable Trackbar.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:49 PM
CF Veteran

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 93gc40
Rubber Bushing at the axle end is replaceable. The Tie Rod End (TRE) at the Frame end is not. If you can get the TRE out without mangleing it, you could replace the boot on it, but the the TRE is part of the bar. Stock Trackbars cost about $50.. If you are lifted or planning to lift, I would look into an Adjustable Trackbar.
2wd so no lift for me. Never been a fan of lifted vehicles.

I believe I can get the track bar out without destroying the tie rod end. I think that side is holding up fine. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the help.