Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Shopping for replacement Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6
Default Shopping for replacement Cherokee

Well, first a little background info.

I have an '88 Cherokee, 4x4, auto with bad engine. I purchased an '89 Cherokee Laredo which was rear-ended on 3-10 and totaled. So, I am now searching for a 3rd, 3rd time is the charm right? lol

Having a hard time finding a decent 4x4, auto, 4DR model under $3500 in my area. So I was thinking of a couple options and just thought I'd see if anyone here might have some useful advice/input.

OPTION 1: Just replace engine in my '88. Body is in pretty good shape except for surface rust on top,hood, under carpet in cargo area and a spot that is rusted through on passenger side rear foot area(which seems to be common). Other than engine, mechanically works good. Only thing holding me back from this route is the rust and the fact that it is a no frills base model and I like the looks of interior better in newer models. If go this route, which model year engine's can I use as a doner?

OPTION 2: Have seen a couple pretty nice newer 2 wheel drive models. Was wondering if possible to swap all the 4 wheel drive components from my '88 to a newer model and, if so, how much it would cost to have someone do it? I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but I don't have the space or tools to do it myself. If I decided to go this route is there certain newer model years that would be direct/easier/better candidates for this than others.

**Have a question about one for sale that I wanted to get opinions on but will post that it seperate thread.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:50 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by RoadWarrior00
Well, first a little background info.

I have an '88 Cherokee, 4x4, auto with bad engine. I purchased an '89 Cherokee Laredo which was rear-ended on 3-10 and totaled. So, I am now searching for a 3rd, 3rd time is the charm right? lol

Having a hard time finding a decent 4x4, auto, 4DR model under $3500 in my area. So I was thinking of a couple options and just thought I'd see if anyone here might have some useful advice/input.

OPTION 1: Just replace engine in my '88. Body is in pretty good shape except for surface rust on top,hood, under carpet in cargo area and a spot that is rusted through on passenger side rear foot area(which seems to be common). Other than engine, mechanically works good. Only thing holding me back from this route is the rust and the fact that it is a no frills base model and I like the looks of interior better in newer models. If go this route, which model year engine's can I use as a doner?

OPTION 2: Have seen a couple pretty nice newer 2 wheel drive models. Was wondering if possible to swap all the 4 wheel drive components from my '88 to a newer model and, if so, how much it would cost to have someone do it? I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but I don't have the space or tools to do it myself. If I decided to go this route is there certain newer model years that would be direct/easier/better candidates for this than others.

**Have a question about one for sale that I wanted to get opinions on but will post that it seperate thread.
It would be easier to do the engine swap than 4x4 conversion. It's a lot more work than you think, but is possible. I would just do the engine swap because it will be quicker and easier.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:52 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

i will sell you mine. its a 93 auto. one rust hole under muffler. no headliner. burns a little oil power steerin leak (high pressure hose replaceing soon) the doors are removable and the lower passenger side door hinge is comming off the factory welds so i couldnt align the door back right untill that gets fixed. good cd player xm satilite radio 4WD some trail scrates. hood pins. 4 150W KC daylighters cb 3 cb anteners 203k miles anything i missed let me know. oh its got a 2in bb and it has a flowmaster 40
Attached Thumbnails Shopping for replacement Cherokee-0213001911a.jpg  
Attached Images    
Old 03-23-2010, 10:14 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

I would just replace the engine. I just got done putting a 4.0L in my 90. The engine came out of a 95 ZJ. Any 4.0L engine will work, you just have to swap your sensor's, intake, exhaust,flex plate, and other accessories from your 88 block to it. Not real hard, just remember to burp your cooling system as I learned. (I had a previous post about coolant issue's today, got it fixed though)
Old 03-23-2010, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by ckysodkorn_xj
i will sell you mine.

LOL!!

Don't sound/look too bad, except for rust hole. Looks like you 4 wheel it a lot so guess only one rust hole ain't bad though. lol

Would say you probably don't live close enough though anyway.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by dbabicky90
I would just replace the engine. I just got done putting a 4.0L in my 90. The engine came out of a 95 ZJ. Any 4.0L engine will work, you just have to swap your sensor's, intake, exhaust,flex plate, and other accessories from your 88 block to it. Not real hard, just remember to burp your cooling system as I learned. (I had a previous post about coolant issue's today, got it fixed though)

Was thinking I had read that there were certain years where exhaust ports on head or something were different. I may be mistaken though, wouldn't be the 1st time. lol
Old 03-24-2010, 06:15 AM

Year: 1990

Everything worked out great for me. Everything seemed to line up great as far as intake and exhaust, but then again, I'm used to small block chevy's and AMC V-8's. Nothing real technical in any of those.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:01 PM

Default Bought another one today.

Well, I found & decided to buy another Cherokee instead of fixing my '88.

I am now the proud owner of a Hunter Green '96 Cherokee 4DR, 4x4 with I6 and Automatic with 139,000 miles. Hopefully, will turn out to be a good decision. Gave him $2,700 for it.

It isn't perfect, in fact I took it straight to a shop to have leaking power steering hose, valve cover gasket, front & rear seals and a couple bearings fixed. All leaks were MINOR, just figured I'd go ahead and fix them now while I had some money. It has a few minor dents hear and there and has damage to the front bumper and looks like it caused the nose to be shifted about .5-1" to the right. Hopefully, it can be pulled back straight later down the road when get some extra cash though.

Drivers door won't open from inside, but figure can probably fix that myself pretty easily. Hoping the rod just came loose or something.

Anyway, I will post some pics when I get it back from shop and get a chance to take some.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: WOULD ANYONE BE INTERESTED IN A '88 WITH A STRAIGHT BODY, ONLY MINOR RUST. GOOD MECHANICAL SHAPE, EXCEPT FOR NEEDS NEW ENGINE AND TIRES ARE BALD(ONE ACTUALLY FLAT AT MOMENT). It's a white base model 4x4 with auto. Interior good for most part. Only main problem inside is drivers seat sags and needs to be replaced.

Last edited by RoadWarrior00; 03-26-2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 03-26-2010, 06:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 89XJ,98ZJ,72K10, 06 Tundra..
Default 88

What are you asking?
Old 03-26-2010, 06:31 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: ???

Originally Posted by RoadWarrior00
Well, I found & decided to buy another Cherokee instead of fixing my '88.

I am now the proud owner of a Hunter Green '96 Cherokee 4DR, 4x4 with I6 and Automatic with 139,000 miles. Hopefully, will turn out to be a good decision. Gave him $2,700 for it.

It isn't perfect, in fact I took it straight to a shop to have leaking power steering hose, valve cover gasket, front & rear seals and a couple bearings fixed. All leaks were MINOR, just figured I'd go ahead and fix them now while I had some money. It has a few minor dents hear and there and has damage to the front bumper and looks like it caused the nose to be shifted about .5-1" to the right. Hopefully, it can be pulled back straight later down the road when get some extra cash though.

Drivers door won't open from inside, but figure can probably fix that myself pretty easily. Hoping the rod just came loose or something.

Anyway, I will post some pics when I get it back from shop and get a chance to take some.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: WOULD ANYONE BE INTERESTED IN A '88 WITH A STRAIGHT BODY, ONLY MINOR RUST. GOOD MECHANICAL SHAPE, EXCEPT FOR NEEDS NEW ENGINE AND TIRES ARE BALD(ONE ACTUALLY FLAT AT MOMENT). It's a white base model 4x4 with auto. Interior good for most part. Only main problem inside is drivers seat sags and needs to be replaced.
Congrats on the jeep, hope this one is the charm
Old 03-26-2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Thexjfiles
What are you asking?

Have no clue. Figure gotta be worth somewhere between $250-500 though even if just for parts, but I'm no expert.

Anyone interested just make me an offer and go from there.

**By the way, had bought a custom aluminum recovery tank for it online but haven't put it in yet and don't see point now. Will include it though. Still in box and paid around $140.00 for it. Has all proper nipples, radiator cap and even has the nubs on back that fit in the groves on factory mounting bracket.

It also has the factory rear spare tire carrier. Might see if possible to transfer it to the '96 though. But if can't swap it over, it will be included as well.

Would say just the above two things alone would probably be worth at least $250.

Might try and snap some pics and post either here and/or start new thread in FOR SALE section.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by srt-10jeep
congrats on the jeep, hope this one is the charm
thanks, me too!!! Lol
Old 03-26-2010, 10:21 PM