Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

shocks - stock lift - advice

Old 02-11-2010, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 / 6 EFI
Default shocks - stock lift - advice

1996 4L 2wd 187,777 XJ sport on original set of shocks. Ya, hard to believe. Shocks are one thing I know nothing about - how to test, install, what is better. ... Need some advice.

Everytime I have gone in to get my tires rotated and balanced I they have tested the shocks and they say they are fine. They usually bounce on the front bumper. Recently if I go down an incline or a short driveway into the street I hear a sound like someone crunching a paper bag.

1. From the above does it sound like I need new front shocks?

2. Shock recommendations ??
Not looking for anything outstanding but dont want junk either ... I know y'all tend to do your lift kits and all for $400. Keep in mind that I just want some regular shocks like the stock ones I have.

Is something like this just throwing money away
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...&parentId=46-0

3. Are they easy to put on? Tips?

I have done a lot of work on my car so i am not afraid of really doing anything as far as replacing parts and such. Modifying might be a different story but just depends on how radical. I have posted a couple lengthy posts on this forum with photos and such so I guess you could say I am a contributor.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

check your bushings that could be one thing
Old 02-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91
Engine: 5.9

to check yourshocks is as simple as bouncing on the bumper just like at the shop. what you are looking for is if it keeps bouncing after you stop. If you get off of it right after you push down it should come back up to the top come back down just a little and stop when it comes back up the second time. Anymore than that and you should replace them. Howhever they dont usualy make any noise and it does sound more like a bad bushing wich you can usualy tell by looking at them and you will know when you see it if its bad,oh yea if it is the shocks thats about one of the esieast things to change on most vehicles.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 / 6 EFI
Default Feedback and request for shock recommendations

Thanks to the above for posting. I took the car to Sears to see what they thought. They heard the noise and agreed that it was probably not the shocks but the bushings. They inspected everything including the shocks and found no issues - good, but still wondering what is causing the noise. They checked the shocks with the regular bounce test and the the bushings and all the other parts using a crowbar of sorts to see if things were tight ... including the ball joints. Again, all good.

So,
bushings - fine
Shocks - fine

Considering that my car has 190,000 miles and the same shocks I am thinking that I should replace the shocks.

I am considering the Monroe Reflex shocks. I do some light off roading twice a year and the rest just normal driving.

Any recommendations on shocks for the above driving conditions.