Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Shock/ Shock mount question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Straight 6
Default Shock/ Shock mount question.

so i bought some monroe shocks to run temp til my lift kit gets ordered. i know i know the are crap. only need to last a few weeks. anyways point is the shock for the XJ is part # 59331 in the front.

monroe 59331

problem is the bottom mount. my lower shock/spring/track bar was replaced with this

Rustys Bracket

so the hardware on the bottom of the new shock has to be removed to allow the shock to fit into the new mount. ive tried pressing it out with a c-clamp, tried hitting it out with a hammer and NOTHING. no movement what so ever. anyone running the same or similar setup and have any suggestions? really need to figure this out asap as i took the day off tomorrow to so my suspension.

thanks guys
Old 04-03-2013, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

If they are that stuck you could cut the ears off the bar pin flush with the bushing then hammer like hell. Or use a bench vise and a big socket to press the bar pin into. Problem is when you take that bar pin out you need a sleeve to put in the rubber bushing for the bolt to go through. Nothing a trip to lowes or tractor supply can't fix though