Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Shimmy (yes another one)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 11:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Shimmy (yes another one)

had 3" lift on my 96 with no problems. Added 2" and boy did it all start. Already had adjustable LCAs. Added adjustable track bar, replaced all TREs and drag link, sye, balanced, aligned, pulled front driveshaft. The pep boys dipwad says "everythings tight, you just need a new stabilizer". I have no faith in that diagnosis especially since I asked for the caster reading and he forgot and to balance the tires he wanted to take the street locks apart, I should have let him. I am getting a shimmy that varies with toe setting, might start as low as 45 with the toe in, up to 58 with a slight toe out. Hub bearings feel tight as well as the ball joints. I'm getting to the point that I may as well replace the hub assembly and axle joint.

I have shaken pushed and pulled on this front end until there is no tomorrow. Is it possible to have a bearing on it's way out but not bad enough to feel by hand testing?

Last edited by mcssls; 11-01-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Seasoned Member

BTT, any ideas guys? I'm out of them short of replacing wheel bearings and axle ujoints. They're the only things I haven't touched.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Year: 89

mine used to vary with the toe setting,
take it to a real tire shop and have them adjust the toe in to ZERO and it should go away. mine did after fighting it for about a year
Old 11-01-2010, 12:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also need to check your castor. Below is a good link for reference. Also you want the rear end to sit a bit higher then the front to get more wieght over the front tires.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm
Old 11-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Seasoned Member

rear is an inch higher than front now that it's settled. I have adjustable uppers coming and will set it by the chart then check a jeep shop near my house to see who they use for alignments. Drives me nuts cause when I was back home I would use any of the half dozen shops I had worked for years ago and either do it myself or guys would do it for a 6 pack after hours.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by mcssls
rear is an inch higher than front now that it's settled. I have adjustable uppers coming and will set it by the chart then check a jeep shop near my house to see who they use for alignments. Drives me nuts cause when I was back home I would use any of the half dozen shops I had worked for years ago and either do it myself or guys would do it for a 6 pack after hours.
Sounds good. Castor plays a big part in return to center strength for the tires. If its too far off they will woble through the suspension cycle, ask me how I know. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Seasoned Member

changed stabilizer today, the bushing for the drag link eye on the old stabilizer was down on the axle end of the original, there was no sleeve in the track link end and my uca on that side is cracked. Maybe I'm finally getting to the end of where my shimmy is coming from
Old 11-04-2010, 07:35 PM

You can have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while you are under the XJ looking for anything else loose. Good luck, these front ends are more drama then a HS girl at a party.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Seasoned Member

I've done many many front ends. Built bikes, drag cars, stock cars, lifted trucks and I'll be damned if this thing isn't the biggest pain in the *** of all. Everything else in this front end it either very tight or very new. As soon as I pick up a socket for it I'm gonna do a drop pitman and when Andy get the ucas done and sent I'll add that extra 1/4" there to decrease caster.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Seasoned Member

it's time for a rag and a match. Did the drop pitman and stabilizer, still no change.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:48 PM

I will be looking at mine this weekend. The drivers side wheel/tire is wobbling over bumps, when will it ever end? Only thing I have not replaced is the ball joints and steering stabilizer.

The steering angles look inline on yours? Im not sure what else to say, just wanted to let you know youre not the only one. DW =
Old 11-06-2010, 12:07 AM
Seasoned Member

only difference I notice now is that it's worse under load, throttling up or going up hill right up to the point that I let off then it will lessen or go away totally. I'm probably going to order leafs this weekend so I can get rid of the stockers with aal and blocks. Probably get a 4 degree shim to go with it. When the ucas get here I'm just going to adjust for pinion angle then go from there.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Seasoned Member

LOL, added an overhead console today just to find out the display was dead, guess I'll go rob the one I saw at the jy today.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L
Default shimmy

Heres a vid I made of my death wobble on my 92

turned out to be a bad TRE on my trac bar. took forever to figure it out.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by mcssls
I've done many many front ends. Built bikes, drag cars, stock cars, lifted trucks and I'll be damned if this thing isn't the biggest pain in the *** of all. Everything else in this front end it either very tight or very new. As soon as I pick up a socket for it I'm gonna do a drop pitman and when Andy get the ucas done and sent I'll add that extra 1/4" there to decrease caster.
before you drop the pitman arm find your problem(your lift shouldn't be tall enough for a pitman drop)and you don't want to make more problems by throwing off another steering angle.

Quick Reply: Shimmy (yes another one)